This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] GPS not working
After testing all of last week for my boat, I still do not arive to operate your GPS key. At intéreiur or outside of my wooden boat, I have no signal. I tested a GPS mouse BU 353 which after a few minutes flashes red but I did not see on OpenCPN despite the installation of GPSD in the system. Besides that I have connected my AIS transponder Advansea, which works fine. I do not know what to do with your GPS.
Is the green led flashing?
Are you on OpenPlotter or another system?

Some tips:

The green led will flash when satellite connection is established. Be sure to have a clear view of the sky. Inside buildings, probably it will not be able to connect to satellites, but inside boats it will.

If you are starting a GPS for the first time, or after it has been powered off for more than a few weeks, this is a 'cold start'; it needs to get a new satellite almanac to do its job. The satellites broadcast this information very slowly (at 50bps) on a fixed schedule, and it can take up to 20 minutes.
"Is the green led flashing?" - NO the green led isn't flashing
"Are you on OpenPlotter or another system?" -My configuration is: Raspberry PI 2 B with Open Plotter V6 and USB GPS/GLONASS

"Some tips:

The green led will flash when satellite connection is established. Be sure to have a clear view of the sky. Inside buildings, probably it will not be able to connect to satellites, but inside boats it will.

If you are starting a GPS for the first time, or after it has been powered off for more than a few weeks, this is a 'cold start'; it needs to get a new satellite almanac to do its job. The satellites broadcast this information very slowly (at 50bps) on a fixed schedule, and it can take up to 20 minutes."

-My first attempt: At home on my deck for 1 hour and the green LED does not light.
-My second test: My boat (wooden) at the site for about 1 hour, Nothing
-My third test: On the boat deck and Nothing.
-I also realized a test with my GPS BU353 blinking rapidly it but I can not retrieve the information.
"I have no signal" What does it mean?
Communication flow between pi and gps is fine but you never find satelites?
Have you fixed this finally?
The problem is not resolved, on my gps there is no LED that lights up continuously or flash.
Are you Arwen and Adde the same person???
(2016-04-14, 11:16 AM)Sailoog Wrote: Are you Arwen and Adde the same person???

Login with my first, I lost the password, so since I created Arwen[Image: smile.png]

Now I have purchased a mouse BU353S4 GlobalSat GPS (my usb GPS / GLONASS does not run)
This new GPS works fine, but I do not understand why, the date and time displayed by the Raspberry is not correct.
When I open the Inspector OpenPlotter I see appear in the top lines of the GPS signal, but below there is no display of latitude and longitude.
The date from the GPSs is UTC and OpenPlotter gets this time ans set the system time. You should check the system time zone of your system: Menu > preferences > raspberry configuration > localisation > set timezone

If you do not have lat and lon is because you do not have a good sky view and your GPS is not able to get position from the right number of satellites. Date and time can be provided just by one satellite so you get only this.

Try to make work your BU353S4 GlobalSat and then try to make work the GPS / GLONASS under the same conditions. If you can't make work the GPS / GLONASS send me a private message and ww will replace your unit in case is defective but it would be strange because they are strong and none has failed yet.
I returned from a week of sailing and I tested the GPS and it works. As against it is time to connect to the satellite, the GPS GlobalSat BU 353 S4 is faster.

By against every day, I was forced to go into the box to OpenCPN tools to select the COM Port in the Connection tab, to restart the GPS connection.