This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Implementing /digitalyacht/ikommunicate/webAPP
I have been fighting with this Kindle app for a long time.

Even after fixing the server url code, it seems that when there is no Depth sentence, it won't display anything. So perhaps any missing element and it just won't work. Using the Signal K emulator in Openplotter to add a value for Depth allows that problem to be bypassed.

So it works in a browser on my PC but if I try to display it on my Kindle IV I get only the outline (frame) of the display - no data, even the settings icon isn't showing (though I can click it's outline). The settings page seems to work. I'm running 4.1.3 firmware. Javascript is enabled.

Tempted to get a used Paperwhite or Touch model so I can load Weblaunch as that's the only success story I've seen for these.
I did get a Kindle Paperwhite and it works if I simulate the depth sentence.

So the code won't work on a Kindle series IV.

Ah well, the backlight will be great.

I found the Paperwhite version 2 on eBay for $42, like new. The seller goodystore seems to be selling items people left behind on airplanes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
A couple more findings with the kindle app.

In the html file he references a variable called value1 when he means value and this causes a bug in the two-line display mode where it shows depth in the heading field. Easy fix.

My Kindle Paperwhite's Experimental Browser times out after 10 minutes and opens a screen saver. That's no good. Ends up there is a fix: simply type ~ds in the Kindle's search bar.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_..._Shortcuts

I haven't figured out how to fix it so that it will work without a depth sounder, short of emulating depth in signal k simulator. The code isn't long, but the coder is smarter than I am. In my boat I only have depth when my "legacy" Garmin plotter is on - depth is all I need it for so it is often not on.

I'd ultimately like to make a single Kindle screen that shows only Heading, SOG, and GPS Time on a simple headless Openplotter with IMU and GPS for a race boat I crew on, and hang it under the boom.
Hi, finally I tested the kindle app on the sea with "real" signal K from instruments/openplotter (and not from OPsimulator)  and it works... 

but I would like to display speed from GPS instead of from log

how can I do??

best regards
As the code is written, it will use speed over ground automatically f the speed from log is not present, so you would have to find that in the code and modify the order of priority.

I need to get in there soon and try to reorder the instruments to put speed and heading on one screen together, as the race boat I crew on has no wind or depth instruments.

I find the code a little complicated to follow.
(2018-05-22, 02:36 PM)Saqqara Wrote: As the code is written, it will use speed over ground automatically f the speed from log is not present, so you would have to find that in the code and modify the order of priority.

I need to get in there soon and try to reorder the instruments to put speed and heading on one screen together, as the race boat I crew on has no wind or depth instruments.

thanks, I can't figure out how the signal K "flow" works....
at home with OP simulator I have SOG displayed on kindle...
on the boat with GPS usb and log(blocked) NMEA,  I have "0" displayed on kindle but 
speed is right on OpenCPN dashboard....

mumble mumble mumble
(2018-05-22, 06:36 PM)cepicscepics Wrote:
(2018-05-22, 02:36 PM)Saqqara Wrote: As the code is written, it will use speed over ground automatically f the speed from log is not present, so you would have to find that in the code and modify the order of priority.

thanks, I can't figure out how the signal K "flow" works....
at home with OP simulator I have SOG displayed on kindle...
on the boat with GPS usb and log(blocked) NMEA,  I have "0" displayed on kindle but 
speed is right on OpenCPN dashboard....

mumble mumble mumble
What does signal k diagnostics screen show? Opencpn uses nmea.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I'm trying to use Ikommunikate kindle app on openplotter 1.0.1, but I can't find /home/pi/.config/signalK-server-node/public/example folder!!

Where I have to put the kindle app on 1.x.x op version??

Ciao

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
The github's signalK/signalK-server-node/webapps page say:

If you want to integrate your webapp in the main structure of http://localhost:3000/apps, you should make it installable via npm and add the keyword signalk-webapp to your package.json file.

Tips?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
I dropped it in /usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-server/public/kindle and can open it at http://localhost:3000/kindle/Settings.html

Thanks to Scott Bender on the SignalK slack for pointing the way.