This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA GPS tor serial GPIO
Big Grin 
hi

I've made a direct connection between a ublox gps unt and the raspberry pi serial GPIO input
for background information see
http://www.instructables.com/id/Read-and...pberry-Pi/

for safety i've connected the u blox to a 3.3 V GPIO pin 

On a Pi3 the serial is ttyS0 and after disabling the console output to s0 it more or less works
Open Plotter occasionaly drops the connection which can be corrected with an action like "restart nmea restart kplex after 5 sec no new data on GPS time signal)

Hi

it seems i've been to quick to cheer
My direct serial connection between a gps and the raspberry pi works, but is unstable
If I check the input with the cutecom terminal program something else is also writing data to the serial input
any suggestions how to disable this signal ?

Nb i have checked the command.txt file the serial console is disabled Angry
(2016-04-15, 10:35 AM)tkoning Wrote: hi

I've made a direct connection between a ublox gps unt and the raspberry pi serial GPIO input
for background information see
http://www.instructables.com/id/Read-and...pberry-Pi/

for safety i've connected the u blox to a 3.3 V GPIO pin 

On a Pi3 the serial is ttyS0 and after disabling the console output to s0 it more or less works
Open Plotter occasionaly drops the connection which can be corrected with an action like "restart nmea restart kplex after 5 sec no new data on GPS time signal)

Hi

it seems i've been to quick to cheer
My direct serial connection between a gps and the raspberry pi works, but is unstable

Angel
If I check the input with the cutecom terminal program something else is also writing data to the serial input
any suggestions how to disable this signal ?

Nb i have checked the command.txt file the serial console is disabled Angry

I found this post on the internet   http://spellfoundry.com/sleepy-pi/settin...-raspbian/

sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service
sudo systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service

After a restart the system behaved better but I'm not sure whats realy happening here

D
You says: On a Pi3 the serial is ttyS0... is not /dev/ttyAMA0?

Be sure you do not have gpsd running and fighting for your serial port.
It's better not to use GPIO Serial on Raspberry Pi 3!
https://frillip.com/raspberry-pi-3-uart-...orkaround/
hi

thx, this makes sense
when i use the uart serial led's keep flashing but connection is lost
i will try the fix (just for fun) and think of another solution
Question 
Hi Folks, Hi tkonig

From other Hobbies I do have "leftovers": 

RASPI 2
GPS+Kompass: with Ublox NEO-M8N Flight Controller GPS - Honeywell HMC5883L L883 Kompass 

The GPS+ Module has following connections (see Picture):
 Vcc,GND
TXD,RXD
SCL,SDA

How would you connect this device to the RASPI 2 ? 
- Vcc to 3V3 ?pin1 GND pin6
- TXD pin8, RXD pin 10
- SCL pin5, SDA pin3

- Do I have to deactivate gpsd ?

WILL I KILL SOMETHING ?

Thanks in advance
Reinhold

P.S.: I tried to read the whole thread on cruisersforum already  Sad

...click pic to enlarge:

I think RXD and TXD must be crossed (RXD pin 8 and TXD pin 10). I don't think that the HMC5883L standalone (no gyro and no accelerator) is supported by OP.
If SDA and SCL are only for HMC5883L you don't need to connect them for OP.
(2016-05-26, 02:49 PM)reinhold Wrote: Hi Folks, Hi tkonig

From other Hobbies I do have "leftovers": 

RASPI 2
GPS+Kompass: with Ublox NEO-M8N Flight Controller GPS - Honeywell HMC5883L L883 Kompass 

The GPS+ Module has following connections (see Picture):
 Vcc,GND
TXD,RXD
SCL,SDA

How would you connect this device to the RASPI 2 ? 
- Vcc to 3V3 ?pin1 GND pin6
- TXD pin8, RXD pin 10
- SCL pin5, SDA pin3

- Do I have to deactivate gpsd ?

WILL I KILL SOMETHING ?

Thanks in advance
Reinhold

P.S.: I tried to read the whole thread on cruisersforum already  Sad

...click pic to enlarge:

Hi
I have used the ublox gps as well and i have connected tx ublox to rx raspberry gpio pin

You can set the baudrate of the gps with the u center software If needed, apart from this setting there is no need to connect the ublox rx
My ublox works with 3V3 logic levels even with 5V vcc so it is raspberry safe Cool Cool
On the pi 3 you have to set the clockfrequency  (see prevous post of esailing) and you have to disable the console output to the serial port (see instructables mentioned in previous post, only the first partof removing the console reverence is still relevant )
Keep in mind a lot of the information you find about this subject is based on oldtimer versions of raspian
You can select the serial input in open plotter in the normal way

After some tweaking avond the gps now works fine
I have alsof tried the compass but allas no luck there