This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DaiseyAIS
I'd like to use the Daisy AIS hat on a raspberry pi. Can that be configured to work in OpenPlotter? The idea is to have the data accessible from an iPad running iSailor.
I'm not sure about power requirements, but you should have no problem using it with OpenPlotter. It outputs serial NMEA data, as opposed to using SDR devices, which require some decoding by the PI.

So, just configure another serial NMEA input stream at 38400 bps. You can filter the incoming strings if you wish, but is shouldn't be necessary.

EDIT: Ha! That'll teach me to read more carefully. You are talking about the hat, not the USB device. Still, it shouldn't be a problem, it's just a different serial input to the PI, or I2C. Regardless, it should work fine.
(2017-03-23, 09:55 PM)Alcyone Wrote: I'd like to use the Daisy AIS hat on a raspberry pi. Can that be configured to work in OpenPlotter? The idea is to have the data accessible from an iPad running iSailor.

Yes, it works great with openplotter - I'm running a RPI2 with openplotter 0.8 and daisy ais hat.
Yes, it works perfectly, even with a home-made antenna [http://sdrformariners.blogspot.it/2013/0...r-ais.html] it receives signals from 10 nm.
[raspberrypi 3, openplotter 0.9, Seatalk-NMEA bridge, Daisy]
sanrab
(2017-05-15, 04:06 PM)sanrab Wrote: Yes, it works perfectly, even with a home-made antenna [http://sdrformariners.blogspot.it/2013/0...r-ais.html] it receives signals from 10 nm.
[raspberrypi 3, openplotter 0.9, Seatalk-NMEA bridge, Daisy]
sanrab

I run a Daisy AIS hat on raspberrypi II, Openplotter 0.8 and using an Comrod AV15 Antenna.  On good days I have seen range more than 180 nautical miles and the AIS is covering normally a sea area of about 5000 km2.  On average days, reception distance is 25-40 nautical miles
Marine Traffic Fulehuk AIS Station

Use a good antenna, a decent coax cable, at least RG213  and a original raspberry power supply ( if on main power) and you will be more than happy with the dAISy  ais hat.