This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apps disappearing over restarts
Hello, 

OpenPlotter v3 64 bit on 4gb Pi 4

Every time I restart the pi an app goes missing, one of the openplotter ones like the i2c sensors. Now the settings/opencpn installer has disappeared so I cant even reinstall the ones that disappear. I havet seen any others posting about this, so very confused. Any help apprecaited.
I have never heard of this. More details please.

Are you using openplotter images or installing openplotter-settings manually in Raspberry OS?

Are you in Raspberry OS bullseye?

Open a terminal and type openplotter-settings. Any error?
Sure.

I have semi isolated it down to NTP issues. Im developing my setup indoors, so GPS time sync isnt an option. The default image does not sync, so I cant do any package installs. If I enable NTP in the settings GUI, it doesnt work.

When I install chrony it does 1 good sync then a minute later it shifts back to the wrong date. Last time this happened, that was when all apps but OpenCPN and XyGrib disappeared.

I am trying a new SD card but doubt this will help as my current one was new.

All of this is using the OpenPlotter latest image 64 bit.

Will reply with the terminal output

(2022-12-16, 06:14 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I have never heard of this. More details please.

Are you using openplotter images or installing openplotter-settings manually in Raspberry OS?

Are you in Raspberry OS bullseye?

Open a terminal and type openplotter-settings. Any error?

Further my last comment on the thread, here is the terminal output 

bash: openplotter-settings: command not found

Bear in mind all apps are there up and working up until this point. The installers all worked once I got a good NTP sync and I installed i2c etc.

They all vanished instantly, as shown by that terminal output I would think.
If you are indoor the GPS is getting a wrong date, probably in the past, then the Signal k server is setting your system time with this date and when you try to connect to the package repositories they complain because you are using a wrong date.

Disable your GPS or disable the "Set system time" plugin here: http://localhost:3000/admin/#/serverConf...ystem-time

then enable NTP and reboot. If you are connected to internet you should get the right date and you will be able to update the packages.
Will give that a go on a new image and see if stuff disappears.

Thanks

(2022-12-16, 06:25 PM)Sailoog Wrote: If you are indoor the GPS is getting a wrong date, probably in the past, then the Signal k server is setting your system time with this date and when you try to connect to the package repositories they complain because you are using a wrong date.

Disable your GPS or disable the "Set system time" plugin here: http://localhost:3000/admin/#/serverConf...ystem-time

then enable NTP and reboot. If you are connected to internet you should get the right date and you will be able to update the packages.

What is the best NTP for OpenPlotter? The built in one in settings, chrony or ntpd?
ntp is an openplotter dependency, when you install chrony ntp is automatically uninstalled and also all openplotter apps
(2022-12-16, 06:33 PM)Sailoog Wrote: ntp is an openplotter dependency, when you install chrony ntp is automatically uninstalled and also all openplotter apps

oh lmao that would explain it then. 

although this also happened a week ago on a system that didnt ever have chrony installed. I installed ntpd or something else, would that have the same impact on the openplotter apps?
(2022-12-16, 06:33 PM)Sailoog Wrote: ntp is an openplotter dependency, when you install chrony ntp is automatically uninstalled and also all openplotter apps

Thank you for the help. 

Also, do some openCPN plugins not work on 64 bit? The plugin catalog is much shorter than ive seen and is missing VDR.
yes, only one NTP software can exists in your system. We are seriously considering to go back to chrony in future versions.

yes, opencpn plugins is a mess but this will be fixed soon. I recommend you to install both opencpn instances (debian-backports and flatpak) and compare plugins.
(2022-12-17, 12:45 PM)Sailoog Wrote: yes, only one NTP software can exists in your system. We are seriously considering to go back to chrony in future versions.

yes, opencpn plugins is a mess but this will be fixed soon. I recommend you to install both opencpn instances (debian-backports and flatpak) and compare plugins.

When you say install both, do you mean use the OpenCPN isntaller and install the one that isnt already installed? Can two be installed at once? Is there any way to get the plugin file directly? I did try all the project pages but they all insisted on using the plugin installer. 

Thanks