This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] OP boot problem
I'm a bit confused.
There are two versions of OP 0.8 the older one without noops and the newer with noobs. You work with the older one and everything is fine.
Then you worked with 0.10 and also fine.
Then you updated to 0.11.3 bad.
You went back to 0.10 also bad.
Does it work when the pico hat isn't connected everytime?
Just to add more background to this issue:

- We do not modify the official raspbian kernel, just uninstall some packages and install new ones.
- We do not modify the NOOBS structure or settings. We just add silentinstall to cmdline.txt

And some questions:

- Your test with a fresh raspbian was with NOOBS or with a raspbian image?
- Have you tried to force boot?:

How to bypass the Recovery splashscreen and boot directly into a fixed partition

After you have installed your chosen OSes, add the following file to the root directory of NOOBS to force the indicated partition to be booted at power-on.

Add a text file named autoboot.txt to the root directory of NOOBS.

Add boot_partition=<partition number> to the file and save it to disk.

This will also prevent the splashscreen from being displayed at boot. The partition number can be found by running sudo fdisk -l the partition will be one of the FAT32 partitions /dev/mmcblk0p6 would be partition 6. Note that once an autoboot.txt file is present, there's then no way to force the NOOBS GUI to display, until you delete (or rename) the autoboot.txt file.
(2017-05-07, 10:05 PM)e-sailing Wrote: I'm a bit confused.
There are two versions of OP 0.8 the older one without noops and the newer with noobs. You work with the older one and everything is fine.
Then you worked with 0.10 and also fine.
Then you updated to 0.11.3 bad.
You went back to 0.10 also bad.
Does it work when the pico hat isn't connected everytime?
I agree, I am very confused as well.
with OP 0.8 I always used the image, without NOOBS : worked
First install with 0.10 : worked with Pico hat
update to 11.3 : bad, boots always recovery
returned to 0.10 : bad, boots always recovery
When Pico Hat is not installed : works like a charm

Why did it work with 0.10 in the first place ? drove me mad trying to get it work again

One issue which might be related, but I am no expert in NOOBS: when trying to go back to 0.10,
I removed the partitions with parted, created a new one with fat32, formatted with mkfs.vfat and put the NOOBS files in it.

But on the subsequent installs, the install stalled. It stopped when progress bar said writing ~133MB . Left it running for 30 minutes without progress. When I pulled the plug and restarted, the NOOBS selection screen showed up, with Openplotter as installed. Selecting Openplotter, the install took up again and finished. Could it be that at this moment in installation ~133MB the boot code is written and that this is somehow bungled up ?

I will try to dive further into the NOOBS boot process to understand why it wouldn't boot anymore the partition 6 with OP installation but always the partition 1 with the recovery system.

Thank you very much
Christian

(2017-05-08, 04:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Just to add more background to this issue:

- We do not modify the official raspbian kernel, just uninstall some packages and install new ones.
- We do not modify the NOOBS structure or settings. We just add silentinstall to cmdline.txt

And some questions:

- Your test with a fresh raspbian was with NOOBS or with a raspbian image?
- Have you tried to force boot?:

How to bypass the Recovery splashscreen and boot directly into a fixed partition

After you have installed your chosen OSes, add the following file to the root directory of NOOBS to force the indicated partition to be booted at power-on.

Add a text file named autoboot.txt to the root directory of NOOBS.

Add boot_partition=<partition number> to the file and save it to disk.

This will also prevent the splashscreen from being displayed at boot. The partition number can be found by running sudo fdisk -l the partition will be one of the FAT32 partitions /dev/mmcblk0p6 would be partition 6. Note that once an autoboot.txt file is present, there's then no way to force the NOOBS GUI to display, until you delete (or rename) the autoboot.txt file.
Thank you for your clarifications. My questions came from from me trying to eliminate more or less systematically the reasons which might cause the problem.

The Rasbian fresh install was with an image, not with NOOBS. I could try what it does with a Raspian NOOBS...

Just to be sure : the autoboot.txt goes into the SETTINGS partition of NOOBS, or in the first partition with the recovery system?

Thank you for your help.

PS: I will be moving with my family the next couple of weeks, so I have not too much time to spend on debugging - I am glad that it works right now, even if it's not "the right way"
So we can assume that the problem is with NOOBS and some incompatibility with your board. My advise is burning a new openplotter NOOBS 0.10.0. Do the first install (I think it will work even with your board connected). Take the SD and put it into any computer and follow the instructions to force the partition boot.

autoboot.txt file should go into the unique accessible partition from another computer, the first one where the recovery system resides, not SETTINGS partition.

Thanks to you for testing.
(2017-05-11, 03:32 PM)Sailoog Wrote: So we can assume that the problem is with NOOBS and some incompatibility with your board. My advise is burning a new openplotter NOOBS 0.10.0. Do the first install (I think it will work even with your board connected). Take the SD and put it into any computer and follow the instructions to force the partition boot.

autoboot.txt file should go into the unique accessible partition from another computer, the first one where the recovery system resides, not SETTINGS partition.

Thanks to you for testing.
I agree with  your analysis. I will try your suggestion in a quiet moment ...

problem with linux computers : they can access all the partitions ;-(
Found at last the issue: it is linked to shutdown.

When I issue the legacy commands "halt" or "reboot", on next boot it will end up in the NOOBS emergency shell.

Shutdown via "correct" "sudo systemctl halt/ reboot" allows for normal boot process on the next boot.

It seems I have been too lazy to hit a couple of letters, this just to tell you that it has nothing to do with OP.

Fair winds
Christian
thanks for reporting