This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CLOSED] OpenCPN 5.8.2 won't start properly
Using OP2.9, I updated OpenCPN to 5.8.0, but this version crashes before having started properly : it opens a window, displays the chart, the left side icons bar, and closes the window immediately, before displaying the the right side lower icon horizontal bar  Exclamation Huh Angry

RPi 4 2GB, 7" raspberry DSI display.
I had to fold back to a previously saved image to get 5.6.2 back to life  Cool
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

try. to start it via terminal and look there for errors.
Remove the content of these folders and reinstall plugins:

sudo rm -fR /lib/opencpn/
rm -fR ~/.local/lib/opencpn/
sudo rm -fR /lib/opencpn/ : done
rm -fR ~/.local/lib/opencpn/ : could not find /.local
after master plugin catalog update the plugine window remains empty ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Un-installed / re-installed opencpn 5.8.2.

Difficulties to open the option windows, sometimes it works, sometimes ii frezes (crashes)
When working, very limited access to the plugin windows : only displays the 1st 4 plugin, even after updating successfully the plugin catalog !
o-chart plugin is not visible !
Not yet stable !
Anyway, in French it is good to sea distances in miles instead of kts  !
Strangely, changing language in opencpn also changes font size, making the GUI almost unusable !
Cordialement
Didier B

i would suspect something with your .opencpn/opencpn.config
As I have uninstalled and reinstalled opencpn, I suppose there is nothing special in my opencpn.conf.

In fact the original issue seems gone, the residual problem are :
  • the option windows randomly appears in the task bar only, not on the screen !
  • when, by luck it appears, only 4 plugins are accessible .
I wonder it could be due to low screen resolution (800x480) of the 77" display ?
Cordialement
Didier B

i am not shure if the install does something with your home .opencpn als is normaly installs mostly bin files.
i would try to rename the .opencpn folder and start fresh. i allways have an renamed copied .opencpn folder as backup.
The crash was because some old plugins are not compatible with opencpn 5.8.2, you need to delete old installations and reinstall.

If there is no plugins in the list means that they have not been compiled for that Debian/architecture/opencpn combination yet.

If you are running OpenPlotter 2 I guess you have Debian 10 buster 32bit and OpenCPN installed from PPA, am I right? what plugin do you miss?
(2023-05-15, 02:40 PM)holgerw Wrote: i am not shure if the install does something with your home .opencpn als is normaly installs mostly bin files.
i would try to rename the .opencpn folder and start fresh. i allways have an renamed copied .opencpn folder as backup.
doing what you suggest . . .
Cordialement
Didier B