This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with motor controller
Hi folks, I purchased a high power motor controller off the pypilot store a while ago and only recently got around to installing things (real life and work got in the way of the fun boat stuff). The pypilot itself is the hat (also purchased off the store), stuck on a RPi zero. When the system is turned on, the motor controller is seen, and the pypilot seems to be working just fine. The motor controller receives 12V from my electrical panel (via a busbar that also powers the RPi with a small 12v to USB converter), and is connected to a hydraulic pump since my steering is hydraulic. This hydraulic motor is part of an old RayMarine autopilot installation whose control head died, hence the pypilot.

Anyway. When I engage the pilot, it doesn't actually manage to control the pump. The hydraulic pump engages very briefly, after which eventually the motor controller will report a timeout. At first I thought maybe the amperage is too low, so I upped that a bit in the configuration (to 15A), but it still happens. When I disconnected the pump and put a volt meter over the motor connections and told the AP to turn, it only gets up to 9.something volts and not 12 - which would probably explain why the pump doesn't want to pump.

The thing I can't figure out is why - the pump worked fine on the old system (short of it always wanting to turn hard port because the Raymarine control head was screwed); is the motor controller bad because of the 9.something volts I see? Did I miss something extremely obvious about hooking it up? I checked the power supply at the motor controller and that sits at a comfortable 12.5-13.4V (depending on state of charge of my house bank).

Any advice welcome.

P.S. I did solder on 3 header pins for the rudder position wiring, I'm decent at soldering but... yeah.
You should try changing the servo.speed.min to 100%

It is probably set to a lower value to allow for variable speeds which is more possible with some drive systems than others. This will ensure you get full voltage to the motor.
(2023-06-09, 06:02 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: You should try changing the servo.speed.min to 100%

It is probably set to a lower value to allow for variable speeds which is more possible with some drive systems than others.  This will ensure you get full voltage to the motor.

Cheers! Will try that in the next day or so, currently off the boat doing a massive provisioning run (yay... sort of) so will report back with the results Smile
And now it works. I guess the pypilot still used the settings from my previous boat which had a wheel drive. Of course, it also works in reverse but.. .that's easily fixed! Smile

Maybe this should be a FAQ of sorts?