This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IMU Not behaving correctly.
(2023-08-25, 10:11 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: This is actually a bug.  It should calibrate in imu only mode too.  I thought it was already fixed though and sorry about this.

Can you check which version you have?

I use pypilot 3.2.13
Sailing in a LM23  23" motor sailor i Danmark  .  Mostly In Koege bay  .
Harbored  in SF-Syd  , Copenhagen .
Marine Enginer  ,   Pt. working on power plant 
Sorry I am away from home and won’t be able to check before Septembre the 10th. I installed pypilot from open plotter a few days ago, though, so it should be fairly recent.
OK, my version is 0.36 .. this is what is being distrubted with OpenPlotter ... standard openplotter install.

Turning on "enable autopilot" I am now seeing messages in the bottom left corner and also managed an accel config. Still on the mooring (which is why I have internet) but can already see a better looking cal circle beginning to form for the compass cal, I'll report back what it does when we sail a circle after leaving the mooring.
And yes, it is now calibrated. It seems strange that OpenPlotter ships with an old buggy version. I did look through the PyPilot GitHub, but the only version tag I can see is for V0.9 so maybe later versions are not on GitHub?
So just to wake this thread ... I managed to get my IMU to calibrate, but there are more bugs in the calibration display ... if I open "calibrate", I get the globe with a red "cone" and a green ring of dots ... the base of the cone is correctly aligned in the sam plane as the green ring of dots.

Click on the first tab (boat orientation?) Boat looks correct, sitting on the compass. All good. Click back to compass cal ... now the green ring is at 90 degrees to the base of the red mesh cone ...

I still don't understand where the latest release is .. or what the latest release number is ... I found this github: https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot but it only contains 1 release, V0.9 ... is there another fork of this with the mainained releases?
(2023-11-15, 06:38 AM)rszemeti Wrote: So just to wake this thread ...  I managed to get my IMU to calibrate, but there are more bugs in the calibration display ... if I open "calibrate", I get the globe with a red "cone" and a green ring of dots ... the base of the cone is correctly aligned in the sam plane as the green ring of dots.

Click on the first tab (boat orientation?) Boat looks correct, sitting on the compass. All good.  Click back to compass cal ... now the green ring is at 90 degrees to the base of the red mesh cone ...

I still don't understand where the latest release is .. or what the latest release number is ... I found this github: https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot  but it only contains 1 release, V0.9 ... is there another fork of this with the mainained releases?

And the images I took:   First when I open calibration, the display for compass is shown and looks correct: [Image: W05HI44.jpg]

Then click on "alignment" ... this looks correct also:

[Image: FYNsGSi.jpg]

And finally, click on "compass" agai, and the display is incorrect:

[Image: 6Qdxqrm.jpg]
Hello?
Just a ping to see if there is any update on this ... I brought the plotter home as the boat is out of the water, but entering "pip install pypilot" just says the current version (0.36) is up to date ... it might be a bug in the openplotter pypilot app as well, but again, I did a apt-get update and upgrade and it has not improved ... what else should I do?
I can fell your pain from far away but I've never seen this. I do have been in desparate situations before with all kinds of software. So to crack up the box of options for you:

- have you tried to reinstall everything from scratch? Keep the old sd card, use a new one, if you are afraid to lose stuff.
- you might try to skip openplotter-pypilot altogether and install pypilot from git. That's what I always do. Openplotter-pypilot is an extra layer laid over top of pypilot, multiplying complications. Nothing wrong about it, but try to get the simplest solution working first before complicating it is a strategy I always use.
- take the machine from the boat and have it at home. You cannot expect answers within the timeframe you are on the boat, and this might require some quick over-and-forth dueling banjos to crack.

Take care, keep heart, never give up.
I have now installed PyPilot from GIT:

git clone https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot
sudo python3 setup.py install

When I open the pypilot configuration utility in OpenPlotter (having also done a sudo pypilot restart) it now shows version 0.43 which is much later than version 0.36 so I think the pypilot core is now updated, but when I press calibrate in the openplotter app, nothing happens, I guess it is not compatible with the version of PyPilot.

The plotter is now at home and I have time to solve this, but it must be solved when I take it back to the boat in the spring. Where we sail, the internet is not so good an there I want to enjoy the sailing, not be working on software configuration.

I think a lot of the problems come from the PyPIlot developer not using release tags in GitHub ... I just installed the head, I have no idea if it is a real release.