This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pi Enclosures Suitable For MacArthur Hat
Hi all
While I wait for the new MacHat to be available for purchase (I'm not a tester) and also for Sean's motor controller and tinypylot computer (I want a stand alone autopilot) to be available again, my thoughts have turned to mounting my pi4. What enclosures are suitable or recommended for the pi4/MacHat combo or is it best to not mount in a traditional way due to all the MacHat inputs? Also, I was wondering if it could be mounted in the same electrical enclosure as my 12v switches but ensuring some separation from feeds etc.
TinyPylot and motor controller will be mounted in a separate place.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks
It works perfect mounted without enclosure for example behind a panel or attached to a touchscreen but it should work ok in an enclosure as well. Since most of the connectors are screws you can use any electrical box using waterproof glands or just exposing the screws out of the box, endless combinations. I think no one has proposed an enclosure yet.
(2023-06-14, 12:59 PM)Sailoog Wrote: It works perfect mounted without enclosure for example behind a panel or attached to a touchscreen but it should work ok in an enclosure as well. Since most of the connectors are screws you can use any electrical box using waterproof glands or just exposing the screws out of the box, endless combinations. I think no one has proposed an enclosure yet.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Lots of options. I'm liking the behind a panel idea. Thank you
I'm going to use a cheap waterproof 6 x 4 x 2 plastic enclosure from the local dollar store.
https://www.dollarama.com/en-ca/p-clip-l...er/3033713

Does anyone have the specs for the brass standoffs that come with the MacHat?
I have lots of mobo standoffs, but they have a coarser thread and larger diameter.

I could replace the existing standoffs with the mobo ones, but I would have to drill slightly larger holes in the boards ;-(
Maybe it's time to take out the Dremel tool...
(2024-01-15, 08:00 PM)EarlWer Wrote: Does anyone have the specs for the brass standoffs that come with the MacHat?
I have lots of mobo standoffs, but they have a coarser thread and larger diameter.

I could replace the existing standoffs with the mobo ones, but I would have to drill slightly larger holes in the boards ;-(
Maybe it's time to take out the Dremel tool...

The stand-offs are M2.5, which is an odd choice but the standard set by Raspberry Pi. The exception is the power module, which uses M2.
Looking for recommendations for a quiet fan and control for a pi4 with MacArthur HAT. Preferably one that fits well and uses little power.

Right now I have a tiny enclosure with a small fan that is running constantly and makes too much noise for my taste, and that case won't fit with the MacArthur anyway. 

I did some reading about Argon Fan HAT and an improved replacement daemon for it, but it appears this has a Possible pin conflict.

After reading Marietes tutorial about variable fan speed control it sounds like that is the best option, but also a bit more difficult to achieve and possible conflicts with GPIO pins or if you need the audio output.

Is hardware PWM available to use for variable fan speed control, or is it needed for other stuff with MacArthur and OpenPlotter? And would it be worth pursuing when software PWM seems to be most often used, simpler and readily available?

Thanks for any insights.