This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trouble sending nmea output to another device on local network
Hello,

Please forgive me if this is obvious. I have searched for an answer online and in the documentation, to no avail. 

My setup is a RPI4B w/ GPS, AIS, and Radar coming into the RPI. I am running the latest version of opencpn, 5.8.2-1, flatpak. 

On my RPI, I can see that GPS, AIS, and Radar are all functioning when I use opencpn. 

On my RPI, I have set up a local wifi network. 

I can connect to the RPI local wifi network using my laptop, phone, and tablet. 

However, I am unable to figure out how to transmit the GPS, AIS, and Radar data from the RPI to my laptop, phone, and tablet. 

Essentially, I would like to run a version of opencpn on my laptop, phone, tablet, and utilize the GPS/AIS/Radar data that is fed into the RPI, via a wifi connection, with the RPI running the local network. 

Could someone please show me how to do this correctly? I have been trying various configurations, but no luck. Thank you kindly!
For OpenCPN, on an Android tablet or phone, you need to configure a connection in OpenCPN to receive the input from your OpenPlotter system.

It will be a TCP connection, and if you have OpenPlotter configured as an access point, the address will be 10.10.10.1. Port will be 10110. Alternatively, you can configure a SignalK connection.

To determine what addresses and connection types are available to you, you can use the Network app and click "Addresses and Ports" on the top row. You'll get a list of all available addresses and ports.
If you simply want to replicate whatever is on your main display driven by the pi then why not just use RealVNC viewer? Connect the phone/laptop/tablet to the Pi's WiFi Access Point and start RealVNC viewer, point it to whatever is the IP address of the Pi's access point. You can control OpenCPN from the remote device too.

Edit - Of course you will need to enable VNC in the Interfaces section of raspi-config.
(2023-06-14, 05:15 PM)abarrow Wrote: For OpenCPN, on an Android tablet or phone, you need to configure a connection in OpenCPN to receive the input from your OpenPlotter system.

It will be a TCP connection, and if you have OpenPlotter configured as an access point, the address will be 10.10.10.1. Port will be 10110. Alternatively, you can configure a SignalK connection.

To determine what addresses and connection types are available to you, you can use the Network app and click "Addresses and Ports" on the top row. You'll get a list of all available addresses and ports.

OK, I understand that on the laptop running a version of opencpn, I create a new "network" connection, select TCP, set the address and port as you say. Do I need to select "recieve input at this port"? 

What, if anything, do I do with the RPI opencpn connection? Don't I need to create an "output" connection from the RPI? 

Also, I thought I was supposed to use a UDP connection (not TCP) because TCP can only be recieved by one connection, per the documentation. At least that is how I read it. 

Thank you kindly!

(2023-06-14, 05:21 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: If you simply want to replicate whatever is on your main display driven by the pi then why not just use RealVNC viewer? Connect the phone/laptop/tablet to the Pi's WiFi Access Point and start RealVNC viewer, point it to whatever is the IP address of the Pi's access point. You can control OpenCPN from the remote device too.

That was my initial plan. Unfortunately, the RPI has massive lag due to heat build up, even with a fan and heat sinks, so much so that it is unusable as a chart plotter in the summer months. So, VNC'ing to another device is not useful. 

Instead, my plan is use the RPI as a data hub and wifi the data to a laptop or phone or tablet running its own lag-free version of openplotter.
(2023-06-14, 05:26 PM)rubber_ducky Wrote:
(2023-06-14, 05:15 PM)abarrow Wrote: For OpenCPN, on an Android tablet or phone, you need to configure a connection in OpenCPN to receive the input from your OpenPlotter system.

OK, I understand that on the laptop running a version of opencpn, I create a new "network" connection, select TCP, set the address and port as you say. Do I need to select "recieve input at this port"? 

What, if anything, do I do with the RPI opencpn connection? Don't I need to create an "output" connection from the RPI? 

Also, I thought I was supposed to use a UDP connection (not TCP) because TCP can only be recieved by one connection, per the documentation. At least that is how I read it. 

Thank you kindly!

(2023-06-14, 05:21 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: If you simply want to replicate whatever is on your main display driven by the pi then why not just use RealVNC viewer? Connect the phone/laptop/tablet to the Pi's WiFi Access Point and start RealVNC viewer, point it to whatever is the IP address of the Pi's access point. You can control OpenCPN from the remote device too.

That was my initial plan. Unfortunately, the RPI has massive lag due to heat build up, even with a fan and heat sinks, so much so that it is unusable as a chart plotter in the summer months. So, VNC'ing to another device is not useful. 

Instead, my plan is use the RPI as a data hub and wifi the data to a laptop or phone or tablet running its own lag-free version of openplotter.

Ah I understand. 

Best of luck!
For future reference, I was able to get it to work. On the RPI side, I needed to do an output network connection using 10.10.10.255 and port 10110. For the laptop side, I needed to do an input network connection using 10.10.10.1 and port 10110. For both I selected TCP.