This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i4 + SSD + 5.18 volt DC: limp already with a few sensors
I installed Openplotter for a Raspberry Pi 4 on a SSD SATA disc and put it in the "Argon One M.2" enclosure. The whole thing is connected to a 12 volt battery. A converter provides a stable direct current (DC) of 5.18 volt.

This setting works in principle. But not when I add some sensors to it. Obviously the sensors and USB devices are too much for the Raspi and it goes down. I suspect the power supply. Could this be the case? And how do I solve the problem?

An additional temperature and air pressure sensor is just fine. But if I connect a GPS mouse next or a receiver for AIS data, the Raspi goes to its knees, takes forever with every process, sometimes it seems to "freeze" while working.

What is the reason for this? Does anyone have an idea? And maybe a solution?
- The case "Argon One M.2"?
- To the SSD hard disk?

Is it possibly possible to operate the "power guzzlers" among the devices with a separate power supply?

Is it possible to make USB 3.0 plugs for the display and the SSD disc, where the current-carrying cables are virtually branched off, so that they don't have to be supplied by the Raspberry, but receive their current directly from the 5.18 volt power source?

Thanks for your help,
Rüdiger

Technical background on my Raspberry Pi 4 installation:

Basic installation:

- Raspberry Pi 4, RAM: 8 GB

- SATA-SSD (M.2 SSD A400, 240GB)

- screen (9" high resolution display, capacitive touchscreen, HDMI)

- USB keyboard with mouse (one USB hub)

- Converter: from 12 volts to 5.18 volts direct current (DC) (these remain tested stable)

I would like to run these sensors:

- GPIO contacts: BME/BMP 280 for temperature, air pressure etc.

- USB: SDR receiver for AIS data

- USB: GPS mouse
Can you tell us a little more about your 5V power supply? Type, capacity etc?

You could connect your peripheral USB devices (mouse, kb, GPS, SDR etc) to a separate powered USB hub, I've found that works fine in practice. If you get a 12V powered one then it can run directly from your battery, if you get a 5V one then power it from the battery via a 12V to 5V DC convertor. Ideally you should find one which does not back feed 5V to the Pi's USB port. https://www.addictedtotech.net/best-powe...4-in-2021/

The BMx280 sensors' current draw is very small so that will not be an issue.
(2023-06-18, 04:30 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: ...
You could connect your peripheral USB devices (mouse, kb, GPS, SDR etc) to a separate powered USB hub, I've found that works fine in practice.

Hallo baltika_no_9,
thank you very much for the advice. The problem with the power supply is solved. Now an active USB hub powers the "power hungry" USB devices keyboard with mouse, touchscreen, VHF receiver and gps mouse. This works.

My Raspberry Pi 4 boots without problems even with the USB hub turned on. Therefore, I suspect that the active USB hub is not backpowering (better said, there is no backpowering preventing my Raspberry Pi 4 from booting).

I bought this USB hub via Amazon for about 21 Euro: atolla USB 3.0 Hub, 15W (5V/3A), power supply included, 4 ports with separate switches, one additional charging port.

Kind regards, Rüdiger
Thumbs Up 
(2023-06-23, 12:08 PM)aliento-rvs Wrote:
(2023-06-18, 04:30 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: ...
You could connect your peripheral USB devices (mouse, kb, GPS, SDR etc) to a separate powered USB hub, I've found that works fine in practice.

Hallo baltika_no_9,
thank you very much for the advice. The problem with the power supply is solved. Now an active USB hub powers the "power hungry" USB devices keyboard with mouse, touchscreen, VHF receiver and gps mouse. This works.

My Raspberry Pi 4 boots without problems even with the USB hub turned on. Therefore, I suspect that the active USB hub is not backpowering (better said, there is no backpowering preventing my Raspberry Pi 4 from booting).

I bought this USB hub via Amazon for about 21 Euro: atolla USB 3.0 Hub, 15W (5V/3A), power supply included, 4 ports with separate switches, one additional charging port.

Kind regards, Rüdiger

That's good to hear. Confirming that the hub you have works on the pi might help others.