This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I2C-Sensor-Data not displayed in OpenCPN - Headless Mode
Dear all, 

Im using the following setup: 

RaspberryPi 4 with Openplotter in Headless mode with
  • AIS DaisyHAT
  • USB GPS Dongle
  • USB RS422 Adapter
  • I2C Sensor: 10 DOF IMU-Sensor (BMP280 & MPU9255 combined) on top of the DaisyHAT
  • MPU9255 with the PyPilot-Application in Openplotter
  • BMP280 with I2C-Applicatipn in Openplotter

connected. 

As a Wlan-client (AP+Client onboard Mode) im using a Macbook and OpenCPN. 
Incoming connection in OpenCPN (on the macbook) is TCP localhost port:10110

Im getting a signal from the AIS, the GPS. 
Im not receiving any I2C Sensor-Data.

When I connect via VNC on the RaspberryPi and start OpenCPN there, Im getting all the Sensordata. 
  • On the SignalK Server under "Data Connection" the Sensor IMU-Data from PyPilot is displayed 
  • As well as the Temp and Pressuredata coming from the I2C-Application. 

It seems so me, that I have so setup a additional incoming connection in OpenCPN on the Macbook. Which one is it?
What if you set up an incoming TCP port for protocol signal K on port 3000?

Where abouts in OpenCPN can you, or do you expect, to see the I2C data?
(2023-06-26, 01:27 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: What if you set up an incoming TCP port for protocol signal K on port 3000?
This does not change anything.
(2023-06-26, 01:27 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Where abouts in OpenCPN can you, or do you expect, to see the I2C data?
I want to display the date in the instrument panel.
For the BMP280: temperature and pressure
For the MPU9255: Roll, Pitch & Heading
Deleted..
TCP localhost port:10110 is only for NMEA 0183 data, openplotter.local port 3000 signa k connection is for everything.
Dear Sailoog,

(2023-06-26, 03:50 PM)Sailoog Wrote: TCP localhost port:10110 is only for NMEA 0183 data, openplotter.local port 3000 signa k connection is for everything.

Unfortunately it doesnt work with openplotter.local port 3000 either in OpenCPN on the client.
I did some research, do I have to install the "Signal K to NMEA0183" Plugin?
Unfortunately I don't have a Mac to replicate your situation more accurately but I have tried on a Windows 10 laptop and a Ubuntu laptop. I've installed OpenCPN, connected to the Pi's AP and I can display the pressure reading from my BMP280 in the OpenCPN dashboard. The only connection I have set up in OpenCPN is the one to receive the signal K server output from the Pi on port 3000.

I am very surprised this does not work on a Mac.

"................... do I have to install the "Signal K to NMEA0183" Plugin?"

Well there is nothing to lose by trying that although I thought that plugin was installed as part of the standard OP build. Edit - I'm sure that's the case that it is installed as standard, if I uninstall the plugin it just gets reinstalled after a reboot.

On the laptop:

On the Pi

(2023-06-26, 06:26 PM)zugol Wrote: Dear Sailoog,

(2023-06-26, 03:50 PM)Sailoog Wrote: TCP localhost port:10110 is only for NMEA 0183 data, openplotter.local port 3000 signa k connection is for everything.

Unfortunately it doesnt work with openplotter.local port 3000 either in OpenCPN on the client.
I did some research, do I have to install the "Signal K to NMEA0183" Plugin?

That does not make sense, if TCP xxxxxx port:10110 is working in your remote opencpn, then the signal k connection xxxxxx port 3000 should also work, in the picture below change localhost by openplotter.local or 10.10.10.1 if openplotter is working as an access point. You can also use "discover now" to get the correct IP

[Image: opencpnConnection3.png]
Ive found the problem:
Opencpn on android does not give me the option so set up an incoming connection for signal k, only tcp or udp. 

Or am i just using an outdated version of opencpn android?
(2023-07-23, 01:12 PM)zugol Wrote: Ive found the problem:
Opencpn on android does not give me the option so set up an incoming connection for signal k, only tcp or udp. 

Or am i just using an outdated version of opencpn android?

You are using the free, ancient and unmaintained OpenCPN version for Android. You need the official one from Dave Register.