This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
updates and update of serial 3.3 and serialk server 2.0.
Yesterday, I found an update to serial 3.3 and sk server 2.0. Plus about 20 updates to various programs. The serial update was in settings, the sk server at the bottom of the server page. The others were on the top toolbar. I had tried these toolbar listed ones before, but they always failed. Was able to capture part of the error message. Extremely slow download. thought it was the poor internet connection at the Marina, so I brought the Pi home. Did the sk server and serial updates. the others still failed.

took the Pi back to the boat today, and hooked things back up. I've lost my Actisense NTG-1 connection. The I2c inputs from the inside temp and rh sensor are running fine.

thought something might have been deleted with the upgrade, so I deleted the NTG-1 connection and reset it according to the openplotter setup instructions for the NTG-1. No luck. tried a couple of times. deleting, rebuilding, restarting the server, rebooting the Pi. Didn't have much problem getting the NTG-1 working earlier this year so I'm wondering if something has changed.

it was above body temp in the cabin with the hatches open. so could not work at it long.

first attachment should be the dashboard, showing connections, next two the error message from the various updates listed on the update routine on the top tool bar. 

something else different, OpenCpn keeps starting and restarting now. had to shut it off.

had everything working the way I wanted them before the updates.

The Serial update will have been in the list in the toolbar. I never use that list anyway to update, just the standard Debian commands from the terminal window for updates.

The error messages are DNS resolution failures and they just say that there is no internet connection at that time. Have tried to ping something while getting the messages? I would be surprised if it didn't fail.
(2023-07-06, 02:14 AM)amckeown Wrote: Yesterday, I found an update to serial 3.3 and sk server 2.0. Plus about 20 updates to various programs. The serial update was in settings, the sk server at the bottom of the server page. The others were on the top toolbar. I had tried these toolbar listed ones before, but they always failed. Was able to capture part of the error message. Extremely slow download. thought it was the poor internet connection at the Marina, so I brought the Pi home. Did the sk server and serial updates. the others still failed.

took the Pi back to the boat today, and hooked things back up. I've lost my Actisense NTG-1 connection. The I2c inputs from the inside temp and rh sensor are running fine.

thought something might have been deleted with the upgrade, so I deleted the NTG-1 connection and reset it according to the openplotter setup instructions for the NTG-1. No luck. tried a couple of times. deleting, rebuilding, restarting the server, rebooting the Pi. Didn't have much problem getting the NTG-1 working earlier this year so I'm wondering if something has changed.

it was above body temp in the cabin with the hatches open. so could not work at it long.

first attachment should be the dashboard, showing connections, next two the error message from the various updates listed on the update routine on the top tool bar. 

something else different, OpenCpn keeps starting and restarting now. had to shut it off.

(2023-07-06, 03:29 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: The Serial update will have been in the list in the toolbar. I never use that list anyway to update, just the standard Debian commands from the terminal window for updates.

The error messages are DNS resolution failures and they just say that there is no internet connection at that time. Have tried to ping something while getting the messages? I would be surprised if it didn't fail.

That is intriguing, can understand no internet at the Marina, but not at home on high speed. Unless the provider drops the signal.

one thing,the actisense ntg-1 seems to need to be connected to canboatJs. may have missed the option somehow yesterday. did firt thng this spring.
Thanks
Alan
Off topic I know but to avoid occasions like this where changes break a working system it might be worth considering one's approach to change.

For me, once I have a known good system I clone the SD card (or SSD if appropriate) to a .img file (I use win32DiskImager but there are many utilities to do this either to a file or to another SD card). From that image I create a new SD card which is a backup to the original. I put it in the Pi to make sure it works. I now have two good sources, if once breaks for some reason it's a two minute job to get going. I do the work on my Windows machine at home normally.

When routine system-wide changes come along I don't automatically install them, the system is working so why change it? If I make minor changes in terms of preferences in some apps for instance I record them so I can reapply them if I need to use my backup card.

If there is a specific change I do need, or I just want to bring everything up to date then I apply the changes. If they break the system then i have my back SD card and go back to a known good position.

If after the changes are applied the system is good and I start again and create a new .img file.

In cases of unpredictable behaviour or poor performance it's worth considering the storage medium you're using, the type, version and capacity of the SD cards. I threw one away yesterday as although it functioned OK it performed like a dog.

I tend to use SSD storage these days but the principle is the same.
(2023-07-07, 09:41 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Off topic I know but to avoid occasions like this where changes break a working system it might be worth considering one's approach to change.

Agree, I do similar - it's on the monthly boat check list to make sure it doesn't get forgotten, though  use the sd card copier on the Pi and plug in a usb/sd card dongle. Actually had to swap a card the other day on a solo passage which was quick & easy though turned out the wifi was dropping out because of the Pi getting too hot. 
Check sheets are wonderful things on boats  Cool
(2023-07-06, 11:17 PM)amckeown Wrote:
(2023-07-06, 02:14 AM)amckeown Wrote: Yesterday, I found an update to serial 3.3 and sk server 2.0. Plus about 20 updates to various programs. The serial update was in settings, the sk server at the bottom of the server page. The others were on the top toolbar. I had tried these toolbar listed ones before, but they always failed. Was able to capture part of the error message. Extremely slow download. thought it was the poor internet connection at the Marina, so I brought the Pi home. Did the sk server and serial updates. the others still failed.

(2023-07-06, 03:29 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: The Serial update will have been in the list in the toolbar. I never use that list anyway to update, just the standard Debian commands from the terminal window for updates.

That is intriguing, can understand no internet at the Marina, but not at home on high speed. Unless the provider drops the signal.

one thing,the actisense ntg-1 seems to need to be connected to canboatJs. may have missed the option somehow yesterday. did firt thng this spring.
Thanks
Alan

Went down today, and checked everything. had had it set on canboatjs. still not connecting to the actisense NTG-1 shut the Pi down and put in my backup chip. Restated and away we went. no issues.
So something may have happened during the updating process.
left it creating another backup card.

leave a fan blowing over the pi in hot weather. ebven so it might have overheated the other day.

I store the network weather data as I like to go over the weather. Id like to recover the data for future work off the misbehaving chip. does anyone know where signalk or open plotter stores the data?

Alan

........I store the network weather data as I like to go over the weather.

You say you store the data but how do you do it as that might be useful to know if you want to recover it?
Can you describe a bit more fully about what you mean by "network weather data"?
(2023-07-08, 06:35 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Alan

You say you store the data but how do you do it as that might be useful to know if you want to recover it?
Can you describe a bit more fully about what you mean by "network weather data"?

I have a maretron combination wind speed and direction , temp, RH  sensor on the masthead feeding into the n2k network. Also "sea temp" from the speed/temp/depth sensor feeding into the n2k network.

Now the I2C inside temp and RH have been added to the Pi.
I have logging turned on in the actisencse nema2k connection, so hopefully its being stored.

Had influxbd ver 2 set up on the chip that failed for all the parameters I wanted. no chance yesterday or today to set that up on the backup chip.
Thanks
Alan
.............I have logging turned on in the actisencse nema2k connection, so hopefully its being stored........

OK I see, you're gathering data from the sensors etc. I had a picture of you wanting to capture weather stuff over the internet or something! Sorry.

If you've enabled logging on the actisense connection then the logs will be written to wherever you told signal K to store them. If your actisense has high traffic you'll find they grow pretty quickly.

However for environmental stuff like pressure etc you should, if you want to keep the data, use influxdb or similar as you have done before. Then you can easily download the data in csv format for offline storage, manipulation and historical reference.
(2023-07-08, 06:54 PM)amckeown Wrote:
(2023-07-08, 06:35 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Alan

I have a maretron combination wind speed and direction , temp, RH  sensor on the masthead feeding into the n2k network. Also "sea temp" from the speed/temp/depth sensor feeding into the n2k network.

Now the I2C inside temp and RH have been added to the Pi.
I have logging turned on in the actisencse nema2k connection, so hopefully its being stored.

Had influxbd ver 2 set up on the chip that failed for all the parameters I wanted. no chance yesterday or today to set that up on the backup chip.
Thanks
Alan
Thanks very much
Alan