This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCPN not responing and very slow with Rasberry pi 4 8 gb
Hi

I quite new to the RPI4 and openplotter.
I have installed the program on the RPI4 and downloaded charts from o-chrats.
When i navigate in the chart the responce time is very slow 10-20 sec.
I have allocated 256 mb to the gpu but no improvment.
Any pointer?

As it is now its usless.

Kristoffer
Is it just OpenCPN that is slow or are other apps slow too?

If you go to OpenCPN Options>Display>Advanced>Graphics, untick the box Graphics - Use Accelerated Graphics (OpenGL) and see if that makes a difference.

What version of the o-charts plugin are you using?
(2023-08-08, 01:08 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Is it just OpenCPN that is slow or are other apps slow too?

If you go to OpenCPN Options>Display>Advanced>Graphics, untick the box Graphics - Use Accelerated Graphics (OpenGL) and see if that makes a difference.

What version of the o-charts plugin are you us

The other apps are fine as long as OpenCPN does not go into stackoverflow and i get a pop up to wait or force close the program.
vers. 5.8.4
I have played around with the openGL options. it got a bit better when i remove the smooth out options. but stil not good.

K
OK, I didn't mess around with any OpenGL options other than unchecking the "Use Accelerated Graphics" option, that made a huge difference to me.

What version of the o-charts plugin are you using? (The 5.8.4 is OpenCPN)

Does htop show anything using memory or CPU heavily at the time it all slows down? (You may need to wait for a response of course!)

Is there anything interesting in the opencpn log?
I am not a user of OpenCPN, I use AvNav.
But have you noticed the document on page:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentatio...g_txt.html

There is a paragraph "Memory Options" which describes the usage of the gpu memory.
If I understand the text correctly the recommended maximum on Pi4 is 76 (so 256 seems a lot...).

wbr,
tjm
(2023-08-08, 07:41 PM)tjm Wrote: I am not a user of OpenCPN, I use AvNav.
But have you noticed the document on page:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentatio...g_txt.html

There is a paragraph "Memory Options" which describes the usage of the gpu memory.
If I understand the text correctly the recommended maximum on Pi4 is 76 (so 256 seems a lot...).

wbr,
tjm

Yes I've never changed any of mine from the standard 76MB and found the performance to be good.
(2023-08-08, 06:03 PM)kristoe Wrote: The other apps are fine as long as OpenCPN does not go into stackoverflow and i get a pop up to wait or force close the program.
vers. 5.8.4
I have played around with the openGL options. it got a bit better when i remove the smooth out options. but stil not good.

K

Do you have any other charts to try? A recent install I did was zippy fast out of the box with cm93 & large mbtiles. Both flatpac & v5.8. Have you tried flatpac install? Might be worth a go.

Also did you try the "prepare all enc charts" option in the charts tab? Sometimes Opencpn will run very slow with new charts as it parses through them all, istr this button forces the prog to do that. 
[Image: adAUQh8.png]
Hi

I have tryed all the suggestions without any change.
Some other thing i have noticed is:
1: the setting do not get saved. ea if i tick off openGL the next time i turn on it is ticked on.
2: i have started to get if i want to open opencpn in safe mode.

K
To disable OpenGL you should edit two lines in opencpn.conf

Code:
OpenGL=0
DisableOpenGL=1

Let me repeat my questions from post #4

What version of the o-charts plugin are you using?

Does htop show anything using memory or CPU heavily at the time it all slows down?

Is there anything interesting in the opencpn log?
Are you using Signal K for position input? If so, disable Signal K in OpenCPN and see how it does.