This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
open plotter on Pi zero W
I tried to run the openplotter headlessmode on the pi zero W.
the pi zero W boot with openplotter but when i trie to run openplotter i see the cursor changing it seems like it is loading, but nothing happens.
For that i cannot configure openplotter.

Any ideas how to solve that ?

i used the noob10A and update it to the latest version of openplotter, opencpn, and raspberry.
openplotter is not compatible with raspberry 1 and zero because opencpn is not usable and nodejs has a lot of problems.
(2017-05-12, 05:00 PM)Sailoog Wrote: openplotter is not compatible with raspberry 1 and zero because opencpn is not usable and nodejs has a lot of problems.

In Genaral you are right, but he can do a lot of things with this pi and money is not lost.

I see it so :-) He can start a wonderfull side project for Openplotter:

Some ideas just:

Boat Drone
There is OpenPlotter ... NMEA0183 ... install the Pi zero in a drone and give him a RTL-SDR ... The frequency of planes are nearly the same than for AIS .... 50 meters in the Sky you will have a very good range to receive AIS Signals and push them with Signal K to the Boat RPI. 

My stupid idea is there: A sailboat have not much place for landing a drone and you should be very good to let them land. Something like this: Ublox 7 for GPS and a low energy 

Yours profit are to use signal k as something it was designed for.
Comunication with several implementation. In a bulk of boats you can send display of one boat to the other all meshures of the other boat like oilpresure, speed, temperature you can see.

A drone can be a beautiful thing to use preconfigured routes. Its something like a fun project...

But if success a lot of people come here and will help to improve openplotter. The interest in boats or sailboats and new solutions will force the project here. I just share keywords in my answer here for brainstorming.

(2017-05-12, 07:28 PM)tocan Wrote:
(2017-05-12, 05:00 PM)Sailoog Wrote: openplotter is not compatible with raspberry 1 and zero because opencpn is not usable and nodejs has a lot of problems.

I have no idea why nodejs would have problems.  Maybe it's too slow??   OpenCPN should run _slowly_

In any case, my free autopilot works great on the pi zero's and it also has a full signalk server.   I optimized all the critical sections with c, but otherwise it's fully python.   It can read from various sensors etc, and relay them.   With tinypilot linux, it boots reasonably fast, and is very stable.

https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot
As far as I know, Raspian directly supports the Raspery zero W. Although slower than a pi 3, it seems odd that OpenPlotter should not run on the pi zero W. It would be nice to be able to build a distributed system where a pi zero W could be used to run one or more sensors in one area of the boat without running anything but power (readily available in many cases) to it. Sensor output could be run wireless to the main OpenPlotter computer.
I don't know what the real-life limits are on 1W runs or I2C runs but a larger boat might exceed the run lengths and a remote system would be quite helpful. Of course throwing a bit more money at it in the form of a pi 3 will also do the trick Smile
OpenPlotter could run on a raspberry zero and 1 models but opencpn is really slowwwww and running more than 2 tools of openplotter will get the system unusable.

You are right, a Pi zero can be really useful as sensors controller sending data by wifi to openplotter but on this case maybe an arduino could do better the job if not much processing power is required.
(2017-07-08, 11:25 PM)Sailoog Wrote: OpenPlotter could run on a raspberry zero and 1 models but opencpn is really slowwwww and running more than 2 tools of openplotter will get the system unusable.

You are right, a Pi zero can be really useful as sensors controller sending data by wifi to openplotter but on this case maybe an arduino could do better the job if not much processing power is required.

I don't know anything about Arduino. You know what they say, if you got a nail then everything is a hammer Smile

I will give it a try when I get the pi 1 W. It will not run OpenCPN but the 2 tool limit on OpenPlotter might be a problem. Will see .....  Actually even the pi3B is starting to get slow when doing node red flows and stuff.

Thanks for your input!
(2017-06-18, 02:19 PM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2017-05-12, 07:28 PM)tocan Wrote:

I have no idea why nodejs would have problems.  Maybe it's too slow??   OpenCPN should run _slowly_

In any case, my free autopilot works great on the pi zero's and it also has a full signalk server.   I optimized all the critical sections with c, but otherwise it's fully python.   It can read from various sensors etc, and relay them.   With tinypilot linux, it boots reasonably fast, and is very stable.

https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot

Hello Sean

Thank You very much for sharing Your free Autopilot
I bought the necessary parts and am trying to figure out how to install and connect things

How do You install tinypilot ?

I tried in various ways, copying the files into the tce folder but it seems not working.

kind regards
(2018-02-07, 03:39 PM)kabudu Wrote: How do You install tinypilot ?

I replied here
http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=1014