This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New user, excited at potential of Open!
I am new in all this topics because I did in November buy my first boat it's just a motor boat and the engine is a old diesel from 1959. Anyways I am not a programmer or developer or deep in electronics knowledge. I am just be educate medical.
I did just translate the documentation to German to understand a little bit the possibilities of Openplotter. I know since one month about existence of nmea
[emoji1]

I was reading today in openseamap documentation and did found in the water depth project some information that they use a actisense board to conect sonar.

Anyways I remembered me of my beaglebone black (I have the old version with 2gb) does have a can bus. I never did use it. But as far as I understand I think if you go this way you need just an additional receiver what should cost 15 euros. It should work.

I did found following interesting information for you but if you go on ask sailoog it's the right way to go. I think for what I read to use a beaglebone is the most easy way to interconnect to open plotter and have a stabile system of yours needs. Your needs go compliant to Signal K and not to the proprietary restrictions of NMEA2000. Canboat direction is very clear to go the way with signal K after I read the future.

The promised way and the Link:

Look up J1939 instead of NMEA 2000, it is the same thing and far better documented. Once you've got a basic J1939 system working you can look at CanBoat for how to parse the sailing specific PGNs. They have it all laid out in code, but it exports to JSON and XML files that are human readable with the bitfields for each PGN.

When you find a CANBUS shield you want to find one that doesn't have the termination resistors hard wired, because that means you have to put it at the end of the bus. Sadly most ones aimed at car applications are wired this way. In Beaglebone Black the Waveshare cape is the one to get, it is $15 on eBay (search for RS-485, it also does that and is mostly sold for that application). In Arduino land it looks like the Sparkfun shield has the termination resistors hardwired, so I'd skip it (or I'd unsolder R10 and R12). I haven't looked at the schematics for the Seeed Studio shield, it might be better.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.p...ng-system/

Important: a real good developer with experience should verify this statement. I have no experience in this topic and just try to point a possible way what is correct IMHO

Regards

WILFRIED

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

Messages In This Thread
New user, excited at potential of Open! - by tocan - 2017-05-15, 03:15 AM