This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA2000 Canbus to Openplotter - Help!
Hello

I'm looking to capture speed and depth from my NASA marine clipper duet using this project - ClipperDuet2N2k - on github. 

The project outputs to nmea2000 via Canbus (see below), but I don't run nmea2000 on my boat. I'd like to be able to get the data in to SignalK.

The code is very sophisticated, I'm not able to amend that. So, what I'd like to know is
  • Is it possible to take the CAN HI and CAN Low outputs and attach those directly to the Pi? or is there some middleware that is required. (I'm reluctant to build an N2K network just to provide this requirement if it can be avoided.

Many thanks

[Image: connections.png?raw=true]
If I were in your shoes I would first try to comment out all N2K related code and replace them with debug output. Then verify that everything works by wiring things up and seeing the debug output.

Once the device is producing data the simplest way to get the data into Signal K is in my opinion constructing simple SK delta messages and sending them over UDP over wifi.

If you decide to go the hardware route your Pi will need a can hat/adapter. The physical bus is just the wires and two terminator resistors. But even for that I would first verify with debug output, without an hardware, that it is able to produce data.
Many thanks for that, sending over wifi sounds the best option. I'll see how I get on with the debug