This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it posible to have Seatalk1 output?
I'm finding myself in some trouble with my new boat, where all the equipment is old raymarine stuff using Seatalk1.

Of course with MacArthur's hat there's no issue receiving ST1 data, it works like a charm, but getting the possibility of sending data will be quite cool too.

I looked for alternatives, like a NMEA0183 to ST1 conversion with arduino/esp32, but I only find ST1 to NMEA, so that got me thinking maybe converting to ST1 is something quite dificult.

So I don't know if it is possible at all, or if I should buy some converter like this one https://digitalyacht.es/producto/seatalk-nmea/ and plug it into the nmea0183 output.
what data do you need to send to your ST1 network?

If your ST1 network has a plotter you can send NMEA 0183/2000 from openplotter/MacArthur to it and the plotter will spread ST1 data to your displays.
I have a C80 indeed. Didn't thought of that, i will try as soon as I can.

However, I still struggling with the issue of the issue of controlling the aoutopilot (https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=4989). Specially now that the "Standby" button is broken.

I will continue in that other thread to avoid polluting MacArthur's threads
(2023-12-24, 12:49 PM)MigGat Wrote: I'm finding myself in some trouble with my new boat, where all the equipment is old raymarine stuff using Seatalk1.

Of course with MacArthur's hat there's no issue receiving ST1 data, it works like a charm, but getting the possibility of sending data will be quite cool too.

I looked for alternatives, like a NMEA0183 to ST1 conversion with arduino/esp32, but I only find ST1 to NMEA, so that got me thinking maybe converting to ST1 is something quite dificult.

So I don't know if it is possible at all, or if I should buy some converter like this one https://digitalyacht.es/producto/seatalk-nmea/ and plug it into the nmea0183 output.

Check out Yakbitz - they have a ST in / 0183 out converter -
https://yakbitz.com/ST1toNMEA.aspx

I have a couple of their products and am very happy with them

you can also find them on ebay

Hope this helps

Yak

(2023-12-27, 05:12 PM)yak4fish Wrote:
(2023-12-24, 12:49 PM)MigGat Wrote: I'm finding myself in some trouble with my new boat, where all the equipment is old raymarine stuff using Seatalk1.

Check out Yakbitz - they have a ST in / 0183 out converter -
https://yakbitz.com/ST1toNMEA.aspx

I have a couple of their products and am very happy with them

you can also find them on ebay

Hope this helps

Yak

Sorry I think I flipped it - you already have ST in / 0183 out

Yak
(2023-12-24, 01:16 PM)Sailoog Wrote: what data do you need to send to your ST1 network? spacebar clicker 

If your ST1 network has a plotter you can send NMEA 0183/2000 from openplotter/MacArthur to it and the plotter will spread ST1 data to your displays.

Receiving ST1 data is a breeze with MacArthur's headgear; it works like a charm. However, the ability to send data would be awesome as well.
(2024-02-19, 04:16 AM)miaoklo Wrote:
(2023-12-24, 01:16 PM)Sailoog Wrote: what data do you need to send to your ST1 network? spacebar clicker 

Receiving ST1 data is a breeze with MacArthur's headgear; it works like a charm. However, the ability to send data would be awesome as well.

Yes it would be nice but Sailoog's answer makes an important point: If you need ST1 at all, is because you have ST1 equipment on yout boat, and a lot of those can convert 0183<->ST1.

I could have done it with my raymarine C80 plotter, but i'm lazy, so i bought the digital yacht converter.
Going the other way has always been the issue, and is quite a bit more expensive. I can confirm that the Yak device is one way - Seatalk1 -> NMEA0183.

In my case, as I'm gradually moving to NMEA2000, I spent the money on a Raymarine two-way converter. It's not perfect, but it does give me things like wind and that sort of thing to my SeaTalk network.

Hi,
I have the same issue. I'm in the process of integrating my old Autohelm ST5000 with OpenCPN usng the MacArthur HAT. I was not aware that the HAT was only ST1 one way.

Is this an electric issue or a software issue in the hat?
Is this something that could be developed?
//Viktor
I feel like a lot of you will keep asking for this, but I doubt MacArthur hat never has ST1 out.

But if you read at the top of the forum there are essentially 2solutions:

1) Buy https://digitalyacht.es/producto/seatalk-nmea/ (or similar product) and this way you can essentially convert one of the 2 NMEA0183 ports on yout MacArthur into a full duplex ST1 port. (That was my choice)

2) Connect one of your NMEA0183 out into a raymartine plotter (if you have one) and let it handle the conversion and forward every data into the ST1 network.

And yes, it's deeply annoying (or yes, it sucks ) that the digital yacht converter cost FOUR TIMES what the MacArthur costs, while doing near to 5% of what MacArthur does, but... I didn't want to get stuck on this issue.
Seatalk1 is a rare beast. There are important hardware and software issues. Seatalk1 is a 9bit protocol and common computers like Raspberry, laptops or desktops can not work with that.

In Raspberry we use a technique known as "bit banging" to deal with this using software. The Signal k server uses a plugin containing an embedded python script to read data and it could be modified to also send data using the same technique but it is not a trivial task. A new SK plugin signalk-to-seatalk1 should be developed and the current plugin should also deal with the Seatalk1 collision data management in order to do not disturb other devices in the bus.

We have to add a new and big problem, Raspberry Pi 5 has a new and completely different hardware for GPIO management and bit banging is no longer possible because the current libraries need to be rewritten. That makes impossible even read Seatalk1 data at this moment.

As you can see it takes a lot of effort to continue using an obsolete protocol and I am sure no one will do it especially when you can communicate with your boat using NMEA 0183/2000 using Signal K and a MacArthur HAT. The alternative is quite simple, just read Seatalk1 and send NMEA 0183/2000 to your autopilot or MFD because most still accept these protocols.