This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grafana Data Stream
Hi all,

Has anyone used the WebSocket API  (in anger) and streamed data in Grafana? I find that with a few streams of data it really uses a lot of CPU when compared to the same data stream set in KIP for example.

I found this on Pi4 and OP3 and i'm finding the same with Pi5 and OP4 so i dont believe its an issue or a bug in that software. I wonder if its how it filters the output?

Any tips?

Thanks,
Mat
"Grafana Data Stream enables users to explore and analyze data with ease by providing real-time insights. Its dynamic features improve oversight and judgment, which makes it a vital instrument for maximizing the potential of real-time data streams."
top follow
Hi,
I just tried Grafana :
- with Influx DB on one hand => it wor'ks !
- and with Signal K websocket on the other hand => no line is diplayed

See screenshots :
[Image: Open-Plotter-Grafana.jpg]

[Image: Grafana-Data-Exploring.png]

Concerning the websocket, I followed exactly the example described in the OpenPlotter doc.
Grafana seem's to retrieve datas when I explore the Data source. And the chart adapts the scale to the values, when I leave values in Kelvin, or convert in Celsius, using a transformation. Additionally, a value is displayed on mouseover over the graph (not visible on screenshot, but I saw it).
This might be a stupid idea, but I wonder if the (too ?) fast continuous flow of data might prevent grafana from displaying the line, because the data changes too quickly ?
Hi,

Yeah in my experience it’s best to use a gauge or the linegraph with a number (stat? I forget the name) it doesn’t seem to work all that well with the time series stuff as it can’t hold onto the data.

Have you looked that the CPU load when using web socket? Get a couple of this going and cpu is in the 40%+
If you want to combine retrieving history AND streaming, real time updates give https://github.com/tkurki/signalk-grafana a try.

It has a Signal K Grafana Datasource that
- provides history, like when using InfluxDb with Grafana
- adds real time updates

So when you load a Grafana page it fills the graph with values and starts updating.

Also provides unit conversions from sk units.

Experimental, but works for me.
Thanks for your replies
@Boatingbaileys, I tried to add 4 panels with Signal K websocket source on the dashboard, but it isn't really clear about the CPU consumption, because it varies a lot.
It can be a bit CPU-intensive, especially with multiple data streams.
Heart 
(2024-02-12, 07:36 PM)WoodTyra Wrote: It can be a bit CPU-intensive, especially with multiple data streams.
gold whatsapp

exactly. It can be a bit CPU-intensive