This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tinypilot image
(2024-02-27, 03:06 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Thanks for the lengthy clarification!

So I understand that you finally wired the tinypilot directly to the battery.  You said it still crashed in this configuration with a blank screen?    It is only stable regardless of power without wind input correct?  This is very unusual, since tinypilot runs linux, a crash rebooting the system would indicate more than just the software crashing.    Perhaps the log output became so long it ran out of memory, I am just trying to imagine what could cause this.      How long until it occured?

Please try to get the new image to crash!  Feed it whatever data you can!  If you can repeat it, check the logs by going to the web interface  http://192.168.14.1/logs and check the pypilot output log before it actually crashes.    I hope the new image helps.

Yes the direct power feed didn't make any difference. As soon as it didn't see the wind information anymore it was stable. The weird thing about it is that it didn't happen as soon as I hooked up the windmeter in the beginning. I'll have to look back messages to friends and my logbook/diary to see when it crashed for the first time. I'm pretty sure the first one was about a week into my crossing, but then I had some strong winds the first bit going downwind when it makes more sense to have the hydrovane doing the hard work. Also pretty sure I turned the tiny pilot off then when I didn't use it. In my mind the crashes where happening more often when time went by so first I wouldn't use it at night but later during the day it didn't make sense to try anymore. Sometimes it would crash after 20 minutes or so. And I had a few when it was in standby mode not even running. 

I have the new image now in standby mode running non stop in the same configuration that gave problems with the old one. I'll report back when something happens.
Ok, keep me posted. You could well have something different about your wind sensor that caused this. If you can reproduce a crash I am very interested. I think it might have filled the log files and on a ram disk this could deplete all the memory. I will try to test this theory, and if so come up with a solution (discarding older log output)

It may be with the new image this will not happen any more as well. In only 20 minutes a crash seems unusual though.
(2024-02-27, 08:21 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Ok,  keep me posted.  You could well have something different about your wind sensor that caused this.    If you can reproduce a crash I am very interested.    I think it might have filled the log files and on a ram disk this could deplete all the memory.    I will try to test this theory, and if so come up with a solution (discarding older log output)

It may be with the new image this will not happen any more as well.    In only 20 minutes a crash seems unusual though.
Okay I have an update. I've used the beta image now and calibrated the gyro sensors on shore. It shows the 6 dots in the square, but I get the message needs more range. With trying to calibrate I could only get the message 3 sphere calibration or something similar by rotating it slowly all the way around in stead of putting it on the 6 sides on a steady 
Platform. Then the dots where all over the place in stead of the neat 6 groups of dots. Anyway everything seemed to work fine and only thing to do was go for a short trip to do the Compass calibration. Left the tiny pilot and open cpn running all the time and everything looked fine. then I discovered in the dashboard app the starboard and port heel are the wrong way around. I did the level calibration when the tinypilot was in place. I'll add that in the past I had it upside down to have the cables go neatly into the ceiling, but now for easier access I have it the right side up. But with a new image all settings used in the past should be erased right?  Anyway I went for a motor around in the anchorage to calibrate the compass but it doesn't want to calibrate. Went a few circles each way and I see a nice circle half outside of the sphere, but no update of the calibration date. Anything I can do from here? It's not so easy to go for a run around as I'm anchored in between a mooring field and I can only lift my anchor when there's no one on the mooring in front of me (Simpson bay st Maarten Caribbean) I took a screenshot when I tried the calibration maybe this is of any help?
Is there any output in the calibration log? Did you level the boat?

If pitch is wrong way around, it likely just means the heading offset is 180 out... I should fix it by default because on my boat facing the screen is facing stern where it would normally be toward bow.
Hello Sean and users of pypilot,
I am inserting my question here as it may be of interest for anyone willing to update pypilot: is there somewhere a release note attached to a new tinypilot image saying what the changes consist of?
To be clear: no. There is a commit history:
https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/commits/master/

As an individual I am not capable of doing half of the things that would be nice regarding this project. I try to focus on fixing bugs and producing hardware, and aspects like documentation are often ignored.
(2024-03-09, 08:31 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: To be clear: no.  There is a commit history:
https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/commits/master/

As an individual I am not capable of doing half of the things that would be nice regarding this project.  I try to focus on fixing bugs and producing hardware, and aspects like documentation are often ignored.

Thanks for your reply, I understand. 
I am trying the 2024_02_20 image and the layout of the web interface I get on a PC (Linux, chromium) or on an android tablet (android 10, Opera mini) makes the interface impossible to use, characters/words are not where they should, some commands are unreachable (tacking i.e.). I saved and patched my old pypilot.conf on the new image.
Please see attachments. Any idea why it is so? the layout is OK with the previous version I have been using so far (2020 something)

Something else: the french version is still to be improved, I proposed to do so already  about 2 years ago, I went to github and changed incorrect wording but for some reasons my changes have never been implemented, never mind I am OK to do it again if you explain to me how to do it for good.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you for the feedback.

Could you link to the change or issue you posted on github?   I believe I would have merged changes, especially translations.   There were a few cases where people disagreed about the translation to use, but generally I have accepted changes.

As for the layout.   I do understand there are some changes from previous versions.   The main reason was to separate and space the buttons on the screen so that it is less likely to accidentally touch the wrong one.    I see it may have broken the interface for you when it should not have.

Is the problem that you cannot get to the right side of the screen?  The +10 button and tacking?   What about the other tabs?

If you were to zoom in or out, does it change anything?    If you rotate the tablet to portrait vs landscape does it have an issue?   Can you try on a different device and compare?   Could you test with firefox or another browser and compare?

The more feedback will make it easier to fix.    I have not heard of this issue until now.
(2024-03-10, 03:18 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Thank you for the feedback.

Could you link to the change or issue you posted on github?   I believe I would have merged changes, especially translations.   There were a few cases where people disagreed about the translation to use, but generally I have accepted changes.

As for the layout.   I do understand there are some changes from previous versions.   The main reason was to separate and space the buttons on the screen so that it is less likely to accidentally touch the wrong one.    I see it may have broken the interface for you when it should not have.

Is the problem that you cannot get to the right side of the screen?  The +10 button and tacking?   What about the other tabs?

If you were to zoom in or out, does it change anything?    If you rotate the tablet to portrait vs landscape does it have an issue?   Can you try on a different device and compare?   Could you test with firefox or another browser and compare?

The more feedback will make it easier to fix.    I have not heard of this issue until now.

Thanks for your reply, 
Re. French wording I don't remember exactly what i did, I am not familiar with github, you once explained to me what to do and I remember I reached an interface with I believe the wording in English and the wording in French that I could change, and so did I. I can assure you that the wording "gagner, commande, titre, clouer" in no way is valid, no sailor whose mother tongue is French would validate them (under torture maybe...), so if you could tell me again what to do I will change the words and only those I am 100% sure of.

Re. the interface problem: At least I cannot access to the tack button neither change port/starboard whatever the browser or the system (Linux PC or Android). I can reach the right part of the screen though I don't know why my screenshots are cut. I tried also Opera on the tablet and Firefox on the PC and got similar results (see attachments please). On the PC the ctrl + and ctrl - commands are inoperative whatever the browser, the screen blinks for a split of a second seemingly trying to zoom respectively in and out and gets back to the same layout.
On the PC or the tablet the same scrolling is inoperative on the main page (Control) but seems OK on the others. Actually it looks like problems are concentrated on the "control" page, printing overlap, impossible to reach the tack button and options, the other pages look OK.
On the tablet going to portrait doesn't help much (see attachment please).

EDIT: the tack button appears once the pilot is engaged (which is good), however it is still impossible to select port or starboard.:
EDIT: you have changed te logic, by clicking on the tack button I have access to the 3 buttons port, starboard and cancel. It is just fine!

Finally the only remaining little issue so far is the overlapping of "Commander" over the figure itself. And the translation into French which I will correct if possible.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi!
Re. the French version I am trying to team up with other french speaking sailors who use pypilot to define what wording is best. Could you let me know what are the constrains regarding the kind of words to use? length, number of words for a given item (button or instruction), special character (é,è,ê, ï, ü, etc.), other...