This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signalk on discord & Kip developments
The signalk community has moved over to discord! 
https://discord.gg/uuZrwz4dCS

Something about discord seems to just work very well ?

Should Openplotter do the same? People seem to be easily put off asking what they think might be basic questions about openplotter/signalk & discord seems to be less formidable & easier to access Whatya think sailoog? 

Also, on the kip channel there's work going on to build in a vpn so kip can be viewed anywhere on the web if your Pi is online. Kip is just leaping ahead these days. ?
It could help but...

I can not invest any more time in a new channel for OP Sad

I would like to keep this forum because is open and can be indexed by any search engine.
I agree with Sailoog that the forum is excellent for retaining history and making everything searchable, However, it would be good to have an Openplotter Channel on the SignalK Discord server for anyone that stops there and wants some quick chat like advice.  As you said there is a Channel for Kip already and a OP channel, I think, would be welcomed.  I am frequently over there
(2024-03-03, 04:46 AM)Techstyle Wrote: I agree with Sailoog that the forum is excellent for retaining history and making everything searchable, However, it would be good to have an Openplotter Channel on the SignalK Discord server for anyone that stops there and wants some quick chat like advice.  As you said there is a Channel for Kip already and a OP channel, I think, would be welcomed.  I am frequently over there

Can see the argument of keeping everything here, though from other sailing forums  just getting people to ask for help is a big barrier for quite a few people, many seem to just give up rather than join a forum & ask.   Discord can be a great place for talking people through problems more like a chat room than a forum.
I can not commit to participating very much but if you see it could help let's do it. Send me the link when it is ready.
(2024-03-03, 10:50 AM)Sailoog Wrote: I can not commit to participating very much but if you see it could help let's do it. Send me the link when it is ready.

I'll have a think about it, agree in here should be the "official" main port of call. Maybe a basic discord with a few more "chat" channels might be useful for day to day banter & one to talk people through problems might be useful but probably important to keep it pretty much throwaway so in here stays the real place.  Heart
Well I don't know how discord works Smile
Anyway, hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes but I`ve made a server so anyone interested  can have a chat about anything which isn't really specific enough to be a forum question.  

Just started so only couple of channels but come say hello & have a cup of tea  Big Grin

https://discord.gg/TQthDZ2Y
Added to the landing page: https://openmarine.net/openplotter
I also prefer the forum. I have joined Discord, I can’t get my head round yet but I think things could get lost. Search also isn’t great
(2024-03-06, 07:37 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: I also prefer the forum. I have joined Discord, I can’t get my head round yet but I think things could get lost. Search also isn’t great

Yeah, discord often tends to be  a bit more geared to almost live chat, not really an alternative or rival to the forum. Like AIS/Radar, vaguely similar but different.  Smile
Somehow does tend to be well mannered though, forums can get pretty black & white & shouty sometimes. This one is pretty nice though  Cool