This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signalk Failure After Update Attempt
Hello all.  After trying to update SignalK last night, the update itself reported a failure at the end.  I attempted to use the SignalK installer to re-install, but I was left with a non functioning system  It appears that the server will not start.  I get a "localhost refused to connect" message when I try to access it.  I am attempting to follow the directions here: https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...-Questions to re-install, but I am getting the following errors when I do:

npm ERR! code EACCES
npm ERR! syscall symlink
npm ERR! path ../lib/node_modules/signalk-server/bin/signalk-server
npm ERR! dest /usr/bin/signalk-server
npm ERR! errno -13
npm ERR! Error: EACCES: permission denied, symlink '../lib/node_modules/signalk-server/bin/signalk-server' -> '/usr/bin/signalk-server'
npm ERR!  [Error: EACCES: permission denied, symlink '../lib/node_modules/signalk-server/bin/signalk-server' -> '/usr/bin/signalk-server'] {
npm ERR!  errno: -13,
npm ERR!  code: 'EACCES',
npm ERR!  syscall: 'symlink',
npm ERR!  path: '../lib/node_modules/signalk-server/bin/signalk-server',
npm ERR!  dest: '/usr/bin/signalk-server'
npm ERR! }
npm ERR!
npm ERR! The operation was rejected by your operating system.
npm ERR! It is likely you do not have the permissions to access this file as the current user
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you believe this might be a permissions issue, please double-check the
npm ERR! permissions of the file and its containing directories, or try running
npm ERR! the command again as root/Administrator.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in: /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2024-03-04T19_59_46_006Z-debug-0.log

I have tried to manually adjust the permissions of the directories in the /usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-server area, but I am still getting the errors.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I already blew away all of my configuration data when I tried to reinstall with the Signalk installer last night, so starting from ground zero with signalK is an option.

Thanks,
Chad
Does /usr/bin/signalk-server already exist?
Looks like the installer is expecting it to not be there.
The permissions error will likely be on the destination, not the source
Sorry, I missed some details in my explanation. Per the process in the link above, the directory is deleted prior to installation. After it failed the first time, I tried to adjust the destination permissions and install over that, but that failed as well. I have tried again with starting with no directories, and get the same failures. It almost looks like the symbolic linking should be done as a sudo in the script, but its not. Is that possible? I would expect many people to have issues if that was the case.

Thanks,
Chad
I think you have issues due to manual permissions manipulation or by installing things as root. I recommend to start from scratch.
That is likely the case, but I have one more question. According to this page, the install is done with user pi permissions: https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...-Questions , but this page says to do it using sudo: https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...ng-Node.js . Which would be the correct way? I was able to install using the second method with sudo, but I don't know if the root permissions on things will affect the operation of signalK.

Thanks for the help,
Chad
Same for me me after an failing signalk server update, found an way out:

if there is an hidden folder here from the previous unsuccesfull install - then better remove it before.
sudo rm /usr/lib/node_modules/.signalk-server-1toVLxxxx

stop the services first:
sudo systemctl stop signalk.service
sudo systemctl stop signalk.socket

then update npm und signalk-server:
sudo npm install -g npm@latest
sudo npm install -g signalk-server

look for any messages and start the services again or just reboot:
sudo systemctl start signalk.service
sudo systemctl start signalk.socket

hopefully this helps...
ahoi - holger
Thank you Holger! This process seems to have revived my signalK server. I believe my initial issue was not using sudo to do the install, but I also updated npm as you suggested. I will have to see if I can get a message over to the signalK site to update the GitHub FAQ installation instructions to include the sudo.

Thanks everyone for the help,
Chad
Fine - glad to give an little help.
Hello, I got the same issue on my OpenPlotter V3 install after a attempt to update SignalK to the last version via the web app itself. After fighting to try to solve the issue, I have made a new attempt on an other SDcard with exactly the same issue. As exposed previously, I got a message on the browser as localhost doesn't allowed the connection.
I have followed the procedure given by holgerw but with no result.
I have just updated SK server from 2.1.0 to 2.6.1 through SK admin page in OpenPlotter v3. No problem.

What was your original version?