This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Garmin Radar with RADAR 5 plugin without adapter
Photo 

I have a Garmin GMR 18 HD+ Radar which I want to use with open CPN on a RaspberryPi.

I know that to get it to work you need to make pin 5 switchable, and that an Amphenol MRJ­5780­01 adapter is recommended to make accessing the pins easier.

However, to route the radar ethernet cable I had to cut it and I did so near the end of Side A. I think it will work if I solder each wire back together but join extension wires to the blue and white wire (pin 5) & the drain wire (bare wire with no jacket) and then connect those to a switch.

I can then directly connect with the Radar cable without the need for the Amphenol MRJ­5780­01 adapter or another ethernet cable.

Can anyone confirm if this will work?

Below is a wiring diagram showing what I intend to do (obviously all cables will be properly soldered & heat-shrinked)
That's might be more of a question for opencpn..

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/