This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with OpenCPN using OpenPlotter 7" display
(2019-01-29, 10:18 PM)CaptTom Wrote: I'm new to OpenPlotter, long time OpenCPN user. I'm having the same issue, trying to experiment with OpenPlotter on a Raspberry Pi 3+ B.
[Image: FMS6gZO36qmqxz81GPL_KvXINa734B_6652Y3VeI...38-h483-no]

This is using VNC from a laptop to the Raspberry Pi.

Any suggestions? Be gentle; I'm still new to the whole Raspberry Pi thing.
What version of OP do you have?
Change your font size to 9 in Preferences -> Appearance Settings -> System -> Font
(2019-01-30, 10:15 PM)e-sailing Wrote: Change your font size to 9 in Preferences -> Appearance Settings -> System -> Font

Thanks, tried that. Here's what I got:
[Image: POKLU8Z3_YaTl9tIAHeHTBV0in_LoCmY_XXYRaBJ...02-h147-no]
Try updating your Pi desktop settings:  Preferences -> Raspberry Pi Configuration -> Set Resolution: Choose something like 1280 x  720 16:9.

I would post a screen shot but have been unable to include attachments for the last week or so on this forum.
Thank you everyone for the tips, I do appreciate you helping this newbie.

Setting the display to 1280x720 60Hz 16:9 resulted in a totally black screen in VNC after reboot. I can re-format and re-load the SD card and start over, but I'm afraid that'll leave me in the same place.
Did you restart the VNC?

(2019-02-01, 03:06 PM)CaptTom Wrote: Thank you everyone for the tips, I do appreciate you helping this newbie.

Setting the display to 1280x720 60Hz 16:9 resulted in a totally black screen in VNC after reboot. I can re-format and re-load the SD card and start over, but I'm afraid that'll leave me in the same place.

Is your VNC view set up properly. I have the same settings as above with no issues (running on 3 pi). After you open the Real VNC for the pi, check the settings. Under Properties > Options check that the picture quality is set to automatic, the scaling is scale to window and preserve aspect ratio box is checked.

I'm not an expert by any means, but this has been working fine for me and my display looked just like your when I started using RealVNC.
(2019-02-01, 04:13 PM)Opie91 Wrote: Did you restart the VNC?

Is your VNC view set up properly. I have the same settings as above with no issues (running on 3 pi). After you open the Real VNC for the pi, check the settings. Under Properties > Options check that the picture quality is set to automatic, the scaling is scale to window and preserve aspect ratio box is checked.

I'm not an expert by any means, but this has been working fine for me and my display looked just like your when I started using RealVNC.

Thanks again! I did disconnect VNC, reboot the Pi, and re-connect. Is that what you mean by restart? I'm having no luck with the settings you suggest. I wonder if it's because I connected with the default settings, first. I did reboot again, and I may just start over with a clean install on the SD card, to see if maybe starting out with those settings from the beginning helps.

[Image: AkzdtA3JYsGZrQYtEGfZ2cPsdRvqzuqnOWvFpDCq...80-h640-no]
Same settings as mine and I am not having any problems.

Before you redo the SD card can you hook the pi to a TV or monitor and see if the display comes up. You may have some type of configuration issue you can resolve that way.
When I went looking for a monitor to hook up, I found an unused 32G SD card lying around. Since I'd been testing with an 8G card, upgrading to the larger capacity card seemed like the way to go. I formatted it, loaded NOOB onto it, stuck it in the Pi and fired it up.

In Preferences / Raspberry Pi Configuration / System / Resolution, I changed the resolution to "DMT mode 16 1024x768 60Hz 4:3" and rebooted.

Success! It looks a lot better on the laptop over VNC now, and the chart download dialog isn't all scrunched together. Downloaded a bunch of charts and I'm off and running.

Thanks for all the help!! I hope this thread helps anyone who has similar problems in the future.