This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCPN crashes when zooming oeSENC charts
I posted this on the OpenCPN forum but am adding it here in case there is some implication for OpenPlotter and its user community.

I am running OP 0.11.9 alpha and OpenCPN v 4.6.1 with all the latest updated including plugins on a Raspberry Pi 3.

I purchased some oeSENC charts and enabled the relevant plugin in OpenCPN. All was working fine for a few days but today as I was zooming in or out OpenCPN would crash.

If I start OpenCPN from the command line (with or without -no_opengl) I get the following:

Code:
(opencpn:1693): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_image: assertion 'GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
(opencpn:1693): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_image_get_colormap: assertion 'GDK_IS_IMAGE (image)' failed
(opencpn:1693): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
The program 'opencpn' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
 (Details: serial 107567 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
 (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
  that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
  To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
  option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
  backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
I get an error in the OpenCPN log when I start the application as follows:

Code:
pi@panza:~/.opencpn $ tail opencpn.log
15:05:11 BST: Available TRUE
15:05:11 BST: oeSENC_pi failed to initialize OpenGL
15:05:12 BST: Initializing Chart /home/pi/Charts/UKandFrance/redpi-FRatl_UK-2017-1/redpi-FRatl_UK-2017-1/OC-44-201411.oesenc
15:05:12 BST: processChartInfo /home/pi/Charts/UKandFrance/redpi-FRatl_UK-2017-1/redpi-FRatl_UK-2017-1/OC-44-201411.oesenc
15:05:12 BST: validate_SENC_server
15:05:12 BST: Available TRUE
15:05:12 BST: oeSENC_pi failed to initialize OpenGL
I went into OpenCPN and disabled the oeSENC plugin but I didn't commit it by hitting APPLY. I rebooted and hey presto everything worked as before. I don't see the "oeSENC_pi failed to initialize OpenGL" message and I can zoom in an out at will. It fails however if I enable either the KMS or the Fake KMS OpenGL option.

I'd made no changes to the OpenGL options between everything working and then not so it is a mystery to me what changed to stop it working.
OpenGL on raspberry is still experimental, I do not recommend it for production installations, just for test purposes.
I completely understand that. The problem occurred on my home test rig.

Thanks and regards