This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymarine wheel drive?
I have the wheel drive from a Raymarine wheel autopilot that I would like to use with Pypilot.  The drive has only two electrical leads, so I'm guessing it switches rotation direction by switching the current polarity.  Is this possible and has anyone else tried this?
yes, it works. Pypilot only needs 2 wires that can move the rudder either way.

I want to design a better wheel drive (with less friction and lower cost) but other things get in the way...
Outstanding! I actually have the entire Raymarine system and just replaced the drive when the computer died. I see that the openMarine system can interface with all my old Seatalk components, which is also fantastic!

Do you happen to know how many amps these wheel drives draw and which of the motor controllers I should get?
that wheel drive only draws a few amps so the regular (smallest) controller is ok.

You could measure the amps with an ammeter by just applying 12 volts directly to the 2 wires, it should be 2 amps or less, but keep in mind it might draw more depending on sea state.