This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultrasonic Anemometers
I have the weather computer from Sean and a Davis Anemometer/wind direction indicator.  The Anemometer sat outside for a year and rusted.  The cups don't turn easily anymore.   I would think it it should have been built a little more robust than it was.

Today I found that there are ultrasonic Anemometers available with no moving parts. I looked at the documentation for the Davis unit and it appears to have the same output as the analog version.  It has an RJ-11 connector.   

It is more expensive but it's possible that it could be more reliable and work with Pypilot and OP.  Does anyone have experience or additional information about its suitability?

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product...anemometer
I have no idea if it works, possibly not. Keep in mind ultrasonic doesnt work in heavy rain well and also might not give very good or accurate wind direction especially in light winds. So it may not be all that suitable for an autopilot.

The cups can spin again most likely you just need to spray them... Did they sit outside without the ability to spin? Can you disassemble it? Does the vane work?

I am hopefully going to offer superior 3d printed wind sensors soon, I have used hall sensors and fully ceramic bearings that cannot rust and have not contacts or wear.
Given that the price for the ultrasonic unit is quite high and the likelihood that it won't meet the autopilot requirements, I guess it would be better to use the analog version. I hope I can fix it. I look forward to seeing your new version. Thanks.
Yes, I am intrigued by ultrasonic because of no moving parts but my issues remain:

1) power consumption (probably not a deal breaker, but certainly higher than standard vane)
2) inability to work in heavy rain
3) bad wind direction resolution in light wind

Just how bad #3 is, really would determine how useful it is. Perhaps even having both types of anemometers could be useful using the vane in light wind/rain and the ultrasonic in strong enough wind. The ultra sonic has the advantage of much faster rate, and not having a vane that can oscillate from boat motions. It would be really interesting to know, but considering the cost I cannot afford to buy one, and as far as I know all serious autopilots continue to use the vane type.
There is a fourth question:

4)What does an ultrasonic weather vane measure when a sailboat heels a lot?

A mechanical weather vane then always gives a consistent measurement in relation to the wind angle on the sails.
But with an ultrasonic weather vane, what's the mistake? No manufacturer communicates the error of its sensors tilted to the wind. The few racing boats that have tried ultrasonic sensors have found that these sensors are too damped. They then tested faster sensors but it seems that this was not satisfactory because regatta boats no longer have such sensors.
I tried to get information from the manufacturers who all refused, which is quite suspicious.
Some nautical magazines have tested different wind vanes, but always without any heel. It's weird.
In the meantime, I prefer to avoid having an ultrasonic windvane coupled with the pilote.