This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to physically link a Cerbo to a RaspberryPi with SK?
Hello,

I am currently converting my boat to electric propulsion. The controls are based on NMEA2000 and I have bought a MacArthur Hat to display some of that data via SignalK and KIP. I use a combination of MG Systems batteries and a Victron charger. Pretty cool setup whereby the MG's BMS controls the Victron charger.

I'd like to feed the Victron data into SignalK (running on the Raspberry Pi). My plan is to connect to the GX-device over tcp using MQTT.

My question is about the physical link. Ideally, I'd like to use a cross-over UTP cable between the Cerbo and Rapsberry. Has anyone done this by assigning fixed IP addresses and subnets on both sides?

Other considerations: 
- A switch / access point would be another power consumer / point of failure, 
- I am no fan of the combined WLAN / Access Point option over a single network device, and prefer cables anyway.
- I could host SignalK on the Cerbo and use the VE bus to NMEA2000 cable to get the data from the motor, but I am intending to thinker and experiment with the MacArthur Hat and prefer to keep the Cerbo untouched.

Thank you.
I haven't done it with your setup specifically, but a crossover ethernet cable should work fine.