This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting nmea0183 data for dummies!
I'll be very pleased to be corrected !
Cant wait to get back to my boat now. Maybe I can get my course computer to output and input NMEA after all.

(2017-06-29, 03:57 PM)abarrow Wrote: The only thing you can do at this point is to attach the NMEA output of your C80 to an RS422(or RS485 or RS232) USB interface on your PI or even to a laptop, configure in incoming serial port, and then use diagnostics to see what data is actually being sent out that port. As I said, my ST-60 display has an outgoing NMEA port, and I can see depth and magnetic heading coming out. I agree that the part about showing an RS232 interface in the installation manual is confusing - as you say they show nmea to a radio as via an RS232 converter. I don't understand why they don't show that connection as coming directly from the C80's NMEA port.

I looked at the C80 manual here: http://raymarinec80.com/wp-content/uploa...Manual.pdf

On page 186 there are instructions for "NMEA Output Setup" that allows filtering of the following sentences: APB, BWC, BWR, DBT, DPT, GGA, GLL, MTW, RMA, RMB, RMC, RSD, RTE, TTM, VHW, VLW, VTG, WPL, ZDA. That would indicate to me that if those sentences are not filtered, they are sent out that port. That is somewhat consistent with my ST-60, which sends out DBT and HDM sentences (those are the only sensors on my ST bus right now), both of which are created elsewhere on the Seatalk bus. Having said all that, I found that the NMEA sentences coming out of my ST-60 lacked checksums and complete information, which Openplotter didn't like even when I turned off the checksum requirement on the port. There's a discussion elsewhere on this forum about using Node-RED to add those checksums and the rest of the information. Again, this is a good reason for testing the stream coming out of the C80 first, before laying out the money for a protocol converter.

It could be that the device in question (Raymarine chartplotter) can output its data as NMEA - which is good, but doesn't necessarily mean that it will act as a protocol converter for ALL Seatalk data on the bus.
I noticed that MWV and VWR are not in the list of filtered sentences suggesting that it does not output them; so, unless the wind instrument also has an NMEA output (my ST50 doesnt), you wont see wind data in Openplotter
I just wanted to tell you that it works!! I did as abarrow said, and now, I receive signals from the plotter (gps, depht, wind etc..). I use a seperate computer with another navigation program and it get the information from the openplotter just perfect. So, now I only need to figure out how to send information to the autopilot....
Anyway, thanks for your help.
//Patrik
(2017-07-01, 08:32 PM)Pkarl45 Wrote: I just wanted to tell you that it works!! I did as abarrow said, and now, I receive signals from the plotter (gps, depht, wind etc..). I use a seperate computer with another navigation program and it get the information from the openplotter just perfect. So, now I only need to figure out how to send information to the autopilot....
//Patrik

Great news. Im going to take another look at my 300 course computer to see if will also bridge like your plotter.

You now just need a USB/Serial connection between your Openplotter Pi and your Chartplotter.
The AP example configuration in OP (NMEA 0183 tab) works with my ST7002 autopilot.
The create a route or do a navigate to in Opencpn and you are away
(2017-07-01, 10:27 PM)affinite Wrote:
(2017-07-01, 08:32 PM)Pkarl45 Wrote: I just wanted to tell you that it works!! I did as abarrow said, and now, I receive signals from the plotter (gps, depht, wind etc..). I use a seperate computer with another navigation program and it get the information from the openplotter just perfect. So, now I only need to figure out how to send information to the autopilot....
//Patrik

Great news. Im going to take another look at my 300 course computer to see if will also bridge like your plotter.

You now just need a USB/Serial connection between your Openplotter Pi and your Chartplotter.
The AP example configuration in OP (NMEA 0183 tab) works with my ST7002 autopilot.

Just a question: the usb/serial you talk about, is it the seatalk/nmea converter you talked about earilier? I already have a nmea0183 to usb coverter witch is connected to the c80 plotter nmea port.
(2017-07-03, 01:55 PM)Pkarl45 Wrote:
(2017-07-01, 10:27 PM)affinite Wrote:
//Patrik

Just a question: the usb/serial you talk about, is it the seatalk/nmea converter you talked about earilier? I already have a nmea0183 to usb coverter witch is connected to the c80 plotter nmea port.

No, you have proved that a separate SeaTalk to NMEA protocol converter is not required as your C80 is doing the protocol conversion. 
I was referring to your NMEA to USB converter, which does the electrical conversion, and now just needs to be plugged into your Raspberry Pi so that OpenPlotter can see your NMEA (converted from SeaTalk) data stream.
Regards
Steve
It would be a way of getting data from your PI to your Chartplotter. If you have another NMEA input, that's what you'd use, with an RS-422 or RS-485 interface converter plugged into your PI, just wired in to the receive on your Chartplotter.

A few things you can try:

If you don't have a spare NMEA input on your C80, You could buy an NMEA/Seatalk converter and plug the NMEA side into your PI, and the Seatalk into your Seatalk bus.

Another thing worth trying: A lot of the old Raymarine remote displays, Autohelm controls, etc. , like ST-50 / ST-60 etc have an NMEA0183 output (only). On your C80 it is both input and output, but the displays are output only. You may be able to free up an NMEA input/output on your Chartplotter by moving your NMEA feed into your PI to one of those displays. Then you'll have a free NMEA input to your chartplotter from the PI. It's worth a look and it won't cost you anything. If you look at the back of the display, you'll see wires in and out, and then you'll see another two-pin plug at the top of the little triangle. That's NMEA output.

Lastly, you might try is to use your existing RS-422/USB converter as both input and output. Just bring both RX and TX (and ground) from your C80, and reconfigure the port in OpenPlotter as BOTH. You can set up filters in OpenPlotter so that only the strings you want are received by the C80. I've never tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Others who have configured BOTH ports with NMEA might wish to give their advice on this option.
(2017-07-03, 02:24 PM)abarrow Wrote: It would be a way of getting data from your PI to your Chartplotter. If you have another NMEA input, that's what you'd use, with an RS-422 or RS-485 interface converter plugged into your PI, just wired in to the receive on your Chartplotter.

If you don't have a spare NMEA input on your C80, You could buy an NMEA/Seatalk converter and plug the NMEA side into your PI, and the Seatalk into your Seatalk bus.

Another thing worth trying: A lot of the old Raymarine remote displays, Autohelm controls, etc. , like ST-50 / ST-60 etc have an NMEA0183 output (only). On your C80 it is both input and output, but the displays are output only. You may be able to free up an NMEA input/output on your Chartplotter by moving your NMEA feed into your PI to one of those displays. Then you'll have a free NMEA input to your chartplotter from the PI. It's worth a look and it won't cost you anything. If you look at the back of the display, you'll see wires in and out, and then you'll see another two-pin plug at the top of the little triangle. That's NMEA output.

Lastly, you might try is to use your existing RS-422/USB converter as both input and output. Just bring both RX and TX (and ground) from your C80, and reconfigure the port in OpenPlotter as BOTH. You can set up filters in OpenPlotter so that only the strings you want are received by the C80. I've never tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Others who have configured BOTH ports with NMEA might wish to give their advice on this option.

"Both" works on my setup. (Cheap eBay RS232 - USB converter)
(2017-07-03, 02:48 PM)affinite Wrote:
(2017-07-03, 02:24 PM)abarrow Wrote: It would be a way of getting data from your PI to your Chartplotter. If you have another NMEA input, that's what you'd use, with an RS-422 or RS-485 interface converter plugged into your PI, just wired in to the receive on your Chartplotter.

"Both" works on my setup. (Cheap eBay RS232 - USB converter)

Thanks both of you for taking your time to help me. Still, I just don't understand the last thing you mentioned. If you look at the file I attach to this post, you see exaktly how it's setup today. Probleme is, as I see it, the gps signals that goes into the plotter is using nmea0183. in that way, the plotters 2 cables that receives that info is occupied already. Maybe I could connect the gps to the converter and then send the signals to the plotter from the converter.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's what I suspected - you have a single NMEA in/out on your chartplotter. I think the only way to do this without buying a Seatalk / NMEA bridge is to bring both the TX and RX NMEA on your C80 to your Openplotter RPI, then use another RS422 interface to connect to your GPS for incoming position data to Openplotter, which would then feed that position data to you C80. Essentially, your OpenPlotter RPI becomes your multiplexer, which is one of the things it is designed to be. Your RPI/Openplotter will have to be powered up and working at all times, otherwise your C80 will not get GPS.
(2017-07-04, 02:22 PM)abarrow Wrote: It's what I suspected - you have a single NMEA in/out on your chartplotter. I think the only way to do this without buying a Seatalk / NMEA bridge is to bring both the TX and RX NMEA on your C80 to your Openplotter RPI, then use another RS422 interface to connect to your GPS for incoming position data to Openplotter, which would then feed that position data to you C80. Essentially, your OpenPlotter RPI becomes your multiplexer, which is one of the things it is designed to be. Your RPI/Openplotter will have to be powered up and working at all times, otherwise your C80 will not get GPS.

Yes I agree with abarrow
As he says you will rely on OpenPlotter to multiplex your NMEA data and send the GPS signal on to your C80 but that is what OP does !  
Works fine on my boat 
Ive attached a schematic for information. In your setup, your C80 will take the place of my Seatalk-NMEA bridge