This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting nmea0183 data for dummies!
(2017-06-28, 04:00 PM)abarrow Wrote: NMEA connections to OpenPlotter are done with an RS-485 interface converter. Here's a good one:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00XXQ6T3K/r...uzb4968EFZ. Sailoog also has them for sale on his site.

From what I can research, your Raymarine C80 has both input and output ports for NMEA, but keep in mind that NMEA 0183 is a "one sender - many listeners" system. That's why using KPLEX in Openplotter is so cool - you can bring many senders into the RPI, put them all together, and then send them out as if they came from a single sender.

Do you know if the box all your instruments are going into is a Seatalk device? If it is, when you'll open it you'll see a lot of three terminal connectors and little else - Seatalk is a single wire bus system with power (+12V - RED, GND - BLACK, Data - YELLOW). If that is the case, then all your instruments are designed for Seatalk and won't talk to NMEA devices without conversion. Your C80 should be doing that for you, so it should put out a converted stream of NMEA data that represents all the information coming from your instruments.

Thank you very much for the answer

Unfortunately, I'm not at the boat right now but will go there on Saturday and check how everything is connected. However, I have photos on the box and the connections
Marking in the box:
Fluxgate: Here is a total of 5 cables connected. Gnd, red, green, yellow and blue

Rudder: Here is a total of 4 cables connected. Gnd, red, green and blue

Seatalk: 3 cables. Black, red and yellow

In addition to the plotters, I also have 3 st60 displays and 1 autopilot display (st6001 +)

GPS: connected directly to the plotters nmea port

But, will check everything on saturday.

//Patrik

Messages In This Thread
getting nmea0183 data for dummies! - by Pkarl45 - 2017-06-28, 02:51 PM
RE: getting nmea0183 data for dummies! - by Pkarl45 - 2017-06-28, 07:22 PM