This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding IMU sensor
Hi there
Okay so I'm new to this world.
I bought the RPI3, have rtl-sdr.com 's  tuner and a some generic u-blox 7 usb gps. 
It all works, and was MUCH easier than I expected to setup. Which I think makes for an possible awesome future for the more non-tech non-rich people.

Now for the questions.
I basically want a IMU sensor. I bought the RPI at thepihut.com, but i find the sensors at PiHut a bit expensive, especially if I should fail getting it to work.
Are installing a IMU sensor as easy as the AIS and GPS I already got? Just connect it to the pins as the manual says and openplotter does some magic?

and also

Can I go cheap to start with, and just buy a MPU-9250 at Aliexpress. ( $2.75 is a better level for a student )
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat...t=MPU-9250

Best regards from Denmark
Frederik  Smile
Just make sure the sensor is I2C compatible, and you should be good to go. It's four wires to your PI - two for power (3.3V and ground) and two for I2C communication. IMUs like MPU-9250, MPU-9255, etc. will be detected by OpenPlotter and you'll be given an opportunity to calibrate them. That'll bring the data into SignalK, which can then be converted and output to NMEA0183 for OpenCPN.
I do not recommend MPU-9250. Buy a MPU-9255 better. We are making big changes on IMU management and code will be optimized for that IMU. New system will be even easier.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=107]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=111]
That's pretty darned cool! I'm constantly amazed that the RPI can produce this sort of thing.

By the way, be careful about the MPU you get. I struggled with my MPU for a couple of weeks before I found out that I had been sent an MPU-9255 instead of an MPU-9250.

Of course, now that OpenPlotter is going to be optimized for the MPU-9255, I'm glad I have it!
Yes, buying in China is always a lottery Smile
MPU-9255 it is.
Thanks for the generous answers. It looks awesome sailoog