This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very basic node red question
My flows are getting a bit unwieldy and response when moving a node or a wire is getting quite sluggish. Is there a way to speed things up ?
While it simplifies the current flow if I move independent sections into their own flow, it seems that the total number of nodes in all flows together seem to dictate how fast your node editor responds.
Is it possible to have several flow editors open that are not interacting with each other but interact on the same pi once deployed? The idea being that I could break up things into blocks and edit each block independent of any other blocks.

What do people do to maintain snappy response in their node editor when the node count goes up ?

I currently have about 150 or so nodes and things are slow. I can't imagine what things will be like when the node count goes up two or three times the current number.
Are you using the internal browser of your pi3 to edit the nodes?
If so you can use any other computer for the work. In my setup the pi3 runs the node red server and I edit the nodes on my desktop pc. Although chrome is not my default browser I'm using it because it has the fastest javascript engine.
Yes and no .... I use a laptop to access the pi wireless. The pi runs the node red server. On my laptop, I go to the pi.ip:port to see the node editor (ie:192.168.1.1:1880). I am not aware how you would set up things to run the node editor on the laptop itself and then deploy to the pi. On the other hand, when the laptop is not in range of the pi, the node editor window still functions (but just as slow as if it was connected to the pi). So I do not really know where the node editor runs.
While I would still like to know where the editor code is run, I have resolved my issue. A re-boot restored the snappy response I was used to.
(2017-07-12, 07:19 PM)JD1 Wrote: While I would still like to know where the editor code is run, I have resolved my issue. A re-boot restored the snappy response I was used to.

Well I don't know if I understand you right but it is like I said before. If you run the editor in your laptop's browser it deals with the Javascript and HTML the server (pi3) delivers. The sluggish response during drag and drop is caused by the renderingenginge of your browser. So the quicker your laptop the quicker the response of the drag and drop.
Ah, I think I got it. Data comes from the pi but the drag and drop happens locally. That makes sense. Thanks!
Also explains why rebooting the laptop fixed the issue as the drag and drop happened on the laptop.
(2017-07-13, 06:18 PM)JD1 Wrote: Ah, I think I got it. Data comes from the pi but the drag and drop happens locally. That makes sense. Thanks!
Also explains why rebooting the laptop fixed the issue as the drag and drop happened on the laptop.

Yes thats rigth. As I mentioned before some browser have a very slow Javascript engine. If you use Firefox or InternetExplorer try Google Chrome instead. I'm not a big fan of Google but the browser is rly fast.