This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Upgrade possibly deleting things ?
More than likely this is an operator problem but just in case it isn't ...

I set up a program to bring data from my BMV-700 battery monitor into signalK.
The program was run on startup through the OpenPlotter 'tools' menu.
It would seem that my program no longer exists after the recent upgrades (first to 0.13 and then to 0.13.1). It was located in the 'tools' folder.
I see no reason why an upgrade would delete any custom programs but stranger things have happened.

Update - found it in the backup files that are generated during the upgrades.
I would consider this a bug if an upgrade destroys customizations that are outside of the initial OpenPlotter install. I guess the same thing applies to additional node red nodes installed - an upgrade shouldn't destroy those either.
Yes, maybe a git pull would be better than the current method (download and replace entire folder) but I need to study the case because we have several conf files than should be ignored when pulling. I do not want you to get crazy again with failed updates Smile
Another possibility would be to allow the specifying of a full path to the external tool. Currently it appears that if I enter a full path into the tool menu, this gets stripped off (either that or I made a mistake in testing for this).
In other words, in addition to calling the tool to execute via 'bmv-700.py', it would be nice if I could call it via '/home/pi/bmv-700.py' and have my helper programs seperate.
Done!
Now all configuration files and custom tools are independent from core and it will be not affected by updates. Please upgrade to latest version and put your file in ~/.openplotter/tools/

This is how it works now: https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...tools.html

Report if this works for you please.
Thank you! Will report when set up !
Did the upgrade but of course I will not know if all works ok until the next OP update when I hopefully will not need to set up the helper program again.
Thanks again !
think there is still an issue. On reboot the helper app does not run:

python: can't open file '/home/pi/.config/openplotter/tools/bmv700.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

If I understand things correctly, my helper app should be at /home/pi/.openplotter/tools/bmv700.py
ops you are right, I forgot to apply the change to startup script.
It is fixed. I have done a silent update so force an update please.
Works!

Thanks!