This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless GPS and environmental senders
(2017-10-20, 11:53 AM)PaddyB Wrote: I've been having a play with esp8266 . Powering straight off the 12v into Vin pin. Regulators gets a bit warm though..

sending MQTT over wifi from a victron mppt solar regulator, seems to crash now and again though..

MQTT is great for monitoring, it gets sent to the Pi then node red sends it to the web as well so FRED can make a chart for viewing anywhere.

That sounds great Paddy. 12V to Vin - wow I wasn't aware this is working. Which board exactly are you using?

In my home environment I'm using http to send the data. Got some webspace running php and mysql. The ESP transmits the data via a simple GET request to a PHP script, which saves the data to a MySQL DB. The server is running anyways so I'm saving the local Pi/Mosquitto and wont have to use cloud MQTT. I like to keep my data for myself Smile
For security I'm using simple HTTP_AUTH.
When I'm running the Pi I can easily connect node-red to the database and when I'm on the way I'm using a little website I've set up to view the data.
(2017-10-20, 12:03 PM)shark24 Wrote: Thx for your reply. You are right about the weatherproofing. I guess Ill go for a basic 1wire temp. sensor  because my existing waterproof plug still has 3 free wires left and there is no need to measure humidity and airpressure outside so an additional bme280 will do  the job inside. The GPS reception inside the cabin is good as well so currently I don't really need any controllers besides the rpi.
Still playing with the microcontrollers for home use so I'm looking forward to read more about your project.

You might want to experiment a bit whether you can do 1-wire over such long connections (all the way to the masthead?): 
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-n...mvp/id/148

Like you said, everything you can keep indoors is best kept there. There are only a few sensors you'd want outside, such as wind, humidity, illuminance and perhaps a GPS and IMU sensor on the cabin roof. The humidity indoors can still be significantly different than outside, in particular if you're running a heater or stove, but whether the information is useful to you is not so certain..
(2017-10-21, 09:03 AM)toqduj Wrote:
(2017-10-20, 12:03 PM)shark24 Wrote: Thx for your reply. You are right about the weatherproofing. I guess Ill go for a basic 1wire temp. sensor  because my existing waterproof plug still has 3 free wires left and there is no need to measure humidity and airpressure outside so an additional bme280 will do  the job inside. The GPS reception inside the cabin is good as well so currently I don't really need any controllers besides the rpi.
Still playing with the microcontrollers for home use so I'm looking forward to read more about your project.

You might want to experiment a bit whether you can do 1-wire over such long connections (all the way to the masthead?): 
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-n...mvp/id/148

Like you said, everything you can keep indoors is best kept there. There are only a few sensors you'd want outside, such as wind, humidity, illuminance and perhaps a GPS and IMU sensor on the cabin roof. The humidity indoors can still be significantly different than outside, in particular if you're running a heater or stove, but whether the information is useful to you is not so certain..

I dont need the temp. at the top I wrote mast step which is the very base so there wont be a big distance.
I'm sailing a quite wet boat not using a sprayhood so its hard to find a save place for the humidity sensor outside and the informativeness of the value isnt that important to me.
I'm very much interested in a DIY method to  accurately measure windspeed and direction on the boat
Hi,
I have taken an Internet of Things (IoT) approach, which is very much in line what you want. 
My initiator was the wish for isolation.

See my project pages :  https://sites.google.com/site/olewsaa/ya...-raspberry
The page about IoT, where I suggest using ESP8622 or the newer ESP32 for all sensors and use SignalK to
send the results to OpenPlotter / SignalK server.

It all looks quite good, except that I am looking for simple ways to get OpenPlotter to process end react upon the 
SignalK messages. Like setting of an alarm if something goes above or below a threshold.

Regards,
Ole
(2017-10-22, 05:16 PM)olewsaa Wrote: It all looks quite good, except that I am looking for simple ways to get OpenPlotter to process end react upon the 
SignalK messages. Like setting of an alarm if something goes above or below a threshold.

Hi Ole, 

SK is indeed the way forward, which is why these sensors speak it Smile. I'm also using OpenPlotter, and as far as I understood, the "actions" -tab allows you to do exactly what you want. They let you set alarms of SK values with thresholds. 

P.S. You'd want the development version of SK, probably 0.15 (0.16 doesn't interpret MQTT messages correctly yet).

Cheers, 

B.