This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kplex lost contact with signal k
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature but I don't think that it's finger trouble.

I noticed that OpenCPN was no longer displaying data from my I2C or 1W sensors. I restarted Signal K, restarted Kplex,. Nothing.

Rebooted, nothing
Shutdown and started, nothing.

I can see the data in signal k, temperature, pressures, roll, pitch, heading etc..
But can't see anything in the diagnostics of the entire in the NMEA 0183 window.

I have a serial GPS and that is being passed by Kplex and is being shown in OCPN.

How do I debug Kplex , or Signalk?

I've run openplotter from command line and there are no errors.

Sorry no internet as such to go hunting online at the moment as I'm on the boat.

OCPN is 4.6.1 and OP is 0.13 i.e. the latest updates as performed via Openplotter's update interface.

Cheers
Chris.
this has me stumped so far.

here is the screenshot of the nmea0183 tab

any ideas anybody?

Attached Files Image(s)

(2017-08-02, 06:38 PM)Littlechay Wrote: this has me stumped so far.

any ideas anybody?

So how does the data get from signalk to nmea - is that through the nmea 0183 generator? 

I only have 1wire temp sensors and to see that in opencpm I need to map the signalk data to water temperature so the dashboard can display it, the other data sorry dunno . Looking at the signalk kplex output it looks like signalk just sends out the basic gps data out over nmea, do you need to set up the other i2c & 1w in nmea 0183 generator?
(2017-08-02, 10:20 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-08-02, 06:38 PM)Littlechay Wrote: this has me stumped so far.

any ideas anybody?

So how does the data get from signalk to nmea - is that through the nmea 0183 generator? 

I only have 1wire temp sensors and to see that in opencpm I need to map the signalk data to water temperature so the dashboard can display it, the other data sorry dunno . Looking at the signalk kplex output it looks like signalk just sends out the basic gps data out over nmea, do you need to set up the other i2c & 1w in nmea 0183 generator?
Openplotter has some sort of "gateway" that generates NMEA sentences from the sensors on I2C and 1W interfaces. There is only a need to fiddle with sentences in the 0183 generator if the defaults are not working. 

Anyway I solved the mystery .. well not exactly solved.. OCPN's NMEA filtering was blocking instead of accepting. Changing the filtering in OCPN's connections panel from accept to ignore (or vice versa) got everything flowing again. (seen this before with OCPN and should have got to it as the cause sooner, but was stumped by some red herrings in OP).

However some mysteries still remain.. such as why I couldn't see the rejected messages in OCPN's NMEA monitor window and why I couldn't see them in the NMEA 0183 diagnostics in OP (looking at the diagnostics for the TCP output stream for OCPN).

All up and running again but with questions hanging. 

Chris
Unfortunately, that has not worked for me.  IMU pitch, roll and mag heading show in SignalK input screen.  Mag heading used to show in OpenCPN. Pitch and roll never did.  Now Mag Heading doesn't show in OpenCPN either.  Seemed to break in one of the .14.x updates - but as you say, that may be a red herring.  Also would like to get ROT from the IMU into SignalK.  Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Dave
I too had imu heading in openplotter bit not pitch and roll.

I think this is because the signalk to nmea plugin has a heading sentance checkbox, but there is no pitch/roll nmea sentance, hence that data never gets to openplotter?

If heading no longer working check the signalk to nmea plugin is enabled and mag heading sentance checked, then look in the openplotter nmea dialog, you should see the heading sentance.
(2017-08-07, 05:26 PM)Sderbyshire Wrote: I too had imu heading in openplotter bit not pitch and roll.

I think this is because the signalk to nmea plugin has a heading sentance checkbox, but there is no pitch/roll nmea sentance, hence that data never gets to openplotter?

If heading no longer working check the signalk to nmea plugin is enabled and mag heading sentance checked, then look in the openplotter nmea dialog, you should see the heading sentance.

You will not see Pitch, Roll or or heading in some cases by default. This is because of the sentences that OCPN knows how to decode (or that it doesn't know) .

For example without HDM sentence you'll get heading either on the plot (the ownship icon) or on the dashboard but not both - I don't remember which way around that is. 

The solution is to define the sentences in the NMEA sentence builder (found in the Tools menu). Remember that the angles as fed from signal K are in Radians so you have to convert to degrees by multiplying by 180/pi (or approx 57.296 ).

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you for the help on pitch and roll - once mag hdg is working again, I will build those. Unfortunately, there are many values coming in from the IMU, which show in the scope, but are not brought into signalK and thus don't make it to openCPN

We are still back to why is mag hdg not working, when it used to? I can see the values change in the SignalK diagnostic - and they are valid. However, they never get to OpenCPN anymore :-(
Thanks Chris, i might try the nmea builder later in the week
Ive only used the plugin before

Steve
Ps wasnt aware of the pitch and roll nmea sentance.
(2017-08-07, 07:35 PM)waterman480 Wrote: Thank you for the help on pitch and roll - once mag hdg is working again, I will build those.  Unfortunately, there are many values coming in from the IMU, which show in the scope, but are not brought into signalK and thus don't make it to openCPN

We are still back to why is mag hdg not working, when it used to?  I can see the values change in the SignalK diagnostic - and they are valid.  However, they never get to OpenCPN anymore :-(

Can you see the sentences in the 0183 diagnostic for the TCP stream that is directed at OCPN?