This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
access external wifi
All,
I have spent all of one evening and one day getting familiar with OpenPlotter, so don't expect much from me!  I have been using OpenCPN for some time on a laptop and on an Android tablet.  I have loaded SignalK on a Rpi3 for my sailboat and seen the instrument panel displays on tablets and laptop.  I have a Kbox (https://hackaday.io/project/11055-kbox) on my boat that collects all my instrument (NMEA0183) data, adds AIS, barometer, accelerators (pitch, heel) and sends it all out in NMEA format over its own wifi network.  So I thought it only natural to put OPenCPN on an Rpi on the boat so then I can access the charts (and dashboard) on tablets anywhere.  

I started with the "so-called" lazy approach and installed OPenPLotter on an SD card and booted up the Rpi.  I added a serial port gps to the Rpi (just as a backup to my Garmin in the instruments) and I can access that data using direct connection in OpenCPN on the Rpi.  If I turn on the access point and enable VNC I can remotely control the Rpi from any tablet, nice.  But if I turn off AP and VNC  I don't seem to be able to access external wifi servers like either my home routers or the Kbox.

So my question is: how do I do this?  If I go to the wireless task bar item it says wlan0 not associated, so I don't see any local wifi networks.  Naturally, I got frustrated (because I am not an expert in these things) and I started from scratch and just loaded Noobs on another SD card, booted up the Rpi, upgraded, updated, added OpenCPN, and the changes to get the serial gps to work and on this system everything works as expected.  I can turn on the VNC and remote into the Rpi or I can connect to an external wifi tcp using the task bar wireless item.  

I don't know what to suspect or expect.  I know that in order to both receive and transmit over wifi on the Rpi using OpenPlotter I need two wifi systems (one on a usb dongle), but I thought I could at least switch the one I have back and forth.  Is it because the SignalK server has started when you boot up that the wifi is already committed?  And if so is there a way to turn that off.  I have not been able to find a config file for OpenPlotter (perhaps if I knew where to look I could find it.  

It is a bit frustrating, because I don't consider myself totally new to these things, but yet every new layer of stuff added seems to add its own level of complexity.

Oh I should add, if I do a "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" I do see the local networks as different cells.

Hope someone can help,
thanks,
Ron

(2017-08-10, 03:36 AM)CapnRon Wrote: All,
I have spent all of one evening and one day getting familiar with OpenPlotter, so don't expect much from me!  I have been using OpenCPN for some time on a laptop and on an Android tablet.  I have loaded SignalK on a Rpi3 for my sailboat and seen the instrument panel displays on tablets and laptop.  I have a Kbox (https://hackaday.io/project/11055-kbox) on my boat that collects all my instrument (NMEA0183) data, adds AIS, barometer, accelerators (pitch, heel) and sends it all out in NMEA format over its own wifi network.  So I thought it only natural to put OPenCPN on an Rpi on the boat so then I can access the charts (and dashboard) on tablets anywhere.  

I started with the "so-called" lazy approach and installed OPenPLotter on an SD card and booted up the Rpi.  I added a serial port gps to the Rpi (just as a backup to my Garmin in the instruments) and I can access that data using direct connection in OpenCPN on the Rpi.  If I turn on the access point and enable VNC I can remotely control the Rpi from any tablet, nice.  But if I turn off AP and VNC  I don't seem to be able to access external wifi servers like either my home routers or the Kbox.

So my question is: how do I do this?  If I go to the wireless task bar item it says wlan0 not associated, so I don't see any local wifi networks.  Naturally, I got frustrated (because I am not an expert in these things) and I started from scratch and just loaded Noobs on another SD card, booted up the Rpi, upgraded, updated, added OpenCPN, and the changes to get the serial gps to work and on this system everything works as expected.  I can turn on the VNC and remote into the Rpi or I can connect to an external wifi tcp using the task bar wireless item.  

I don't know what to suspect or expect.  I know that in order to both receive and transmit over wifi on the Rpi using OpenPlotter I need two wifi systems (one on a usb dongle), but I thought I could at least switch the one I have back and forth.  Is it because the SignalK server has started when you boot up that the wifi is already committed?  And if so is there a way to turn that off.  I have not been able to find a config file for OpenPlotter (perhaps if I knew where to look I could find it.  

It is a bit frustrating, because I don't consider myself totally new to these things, but yet every new layer of stuff added seems to add its own level of complexity.

Oh I should add, if I do a "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" I do see the local networks as different cells.

Hope someone can help,
thanks,
Ron

Ok, so I did find the OpenPlotter Startup file in the .config folder and it looks like it is either starting a wifi Access point or a Wifi server (client), but I am not sure that I understand what I am reading in the code.

Messages In This Thread
access external wifi - by CapnRon - 2017-08-10, 03:36 AM
RE: access external wifi - by PaddyB - 2017-08-10, 10:07 AM
RE: access external wifi - by CapnRon - 2017-08-10, 01:47 PM
RE: access external wifi - by CapnRon - 2017-08-11, 12:20 AM
RE: access external wifi - by CapnRon - 2017-08-11, 01:41 AM