This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regatta Race start panel
All,
I think this was requested somewhere else, but I will try here.  I would like an instrument panel (it could be in OpenCPN or separate) which helps in the start of a typical regatta race.  I think the "tactics" plugin for OpenCPN may be addressing this, but my impression is that it is more geared towards long distance racing tactics.  At the beginning of a race we sail past the start line (at the 5 minute warning) and then either sailing along the line or sail away from the line depending on the wind.  You would begin the panel by tagging (pinging) both ends of the start line and then proceed on one of the two mentioned sail lines.  The panel would show a countdown timer and the time to return to the line along with a proposed heading based on the current wind data.  In this way you would know when to turn around and start heading back to the line and whether you need to kill some time before you get there or really put on the sail.   Does this sound feasible?  I know there is an app that is available to do this, but they want an annual fee just to use the app.

thanks,
Ron
(2017-08-12, 02:22 AM)CapnRon Wrote: All,
I think this was requested somewhere else, but I will try here.  I would like an instrument panel (it could be in OpenCPN or separate) which helps in the start of a typical regatta race.  I think the "tactics" plugin for OpenCPN may be addressing this, but my impression is that it is more geared towards long distance racing tactics.  At the beginning of a race we sail past the start line (at the 5 minute warning) and then either sailing along the line or sail away from the line depending on the wind.  You would begin the panel by tagging (pinging) both ends of the start line and then proceed on one of the two mentioned sail lines.  The panel would show a countdown timer and the time to return to the line along with a proposed heading based on the current wind data.  In this way you would know when to turn around and start heading back to the line and whether you need to kill some time before you get there or really put on the sail.   Does this sound feasible?  I know there is an app that is available to do this, but they want an annual fee just to use the app.

thanks,
Ron

Is there any activity on this feature? I would love it, too

All,

another feature would be also nice:

Having a dashboard showing:

- remaining time to start
- how long will it take to reach the starting line, if you go further with this course and speed

Regards
Thomas