This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VHF DSC - NMEA connection question
Hey folks!

I have given connecting this up a go but I can't check if it is orking just yet. So I was wondering if you fine folks could see if I have done this right.

I followed a guide here: https://sojosailing.wordpress.com/2014/1...nsive-way/ 

They are similar to me in that it is the same VHF, but they are connecting it to their laptop rather than to a raspberry pi. They are also only intrested in recieving AIS and GPS from the VHF (and not sending GPS data to the VHF). As a result I need to do it a little differently.

I have used a RS-232 DB9 cable with a RS-232 to USB converter as they did in the linked guide. I also connected the VHF NMEA out in the same way as in the guide. So it is wired with:

NMEA OUT (+) to pin 2 (brown) on the serial cable
NMEA OUT (-) to pin 5 (Yellow) on serial cable

Now (where I differ fromthe guid) to send dad to the VHF I have also wired:

NMEA IN (+) to pin 3 (red) on the serial cable
NMEA IN (-) to pin 5 (yellow) on the serial cable

Does this seem good?

All the best 
Jonny
I have the same setup. Wire colors, etc. not in front of me, assume their connection instructions would be correct. Why do you want to send GPS to the VHF vs. using the VHF's internal GPS? I've found the internal GPS to be very good. Otherwise, setup your serial-usb converter on that first tab of the openplotter setup (identify it and give it a name, probably ID by position if generic converter), then on the second tab set it up as a serial source (name, baud, source, etc.) after saving/restarting you should be able to see the data in the inspector.
Wonderful, thank you!

I partly chose to give the VHF the GPS data due to its location. It is embedded in an electronics cupboard and I feel my external GPS antenna would be more reliable. The other part of the partly was simply because I thought I could Tongue

Thanks again!
Update and some more asking for help.

So my body is in the water with the VHF all set up and able to be tested... and nothing works Sad

I tried the method above. Diagnostics send to suggest I was sending GPS data to my VHF fine, but that I wasn't recieving anything from it. However, when I had it activated, I would lose GPS signal in opencpn. I assume it was overwriting my prior GPS with its lack of information. I have an nmea to usb converter (was going to use it for something else) and tried that to see if it would help, it didn't.

The VHF has wires that only send out AIS information. I decided to get rid of everything else and just try that. All that seems to have done is stop it overwriting my GPS info (I suppose that's a slight positive :p ).

I'm feeling rather confused, any help would be great!
Little update. After messing around with settings, I now know that the VHF is getting GPS info from openplotter.

I'm still not seeing anything in openplotter from the radio though Sad

I have double checked to make sure I'm on the correct baud rate. Also going into the VHF to turn off its GPS nmea data output send to fix the problem of it overwriting other GPS data.