This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter update to Linux Stretch version
Linux Stretch and OpenPlotter are working here now allready for several months. Stable and fast. Latest kernel version is now 4.9.70.

Everything is working very well. Only the OpenPlotter update hangs.

OpenCPN zooms around on the screen with VC4 driver to on. Touchscreen is also working.

However, still no new OpenPlotter version based on Linux Stretch (Debian 9).

What is the holdup for a new version ?

You can also do-it-it yourselves. Update the Jessie version and also OpenPlotter.

Then changes the server settings and do the upgrade. All the settings stay in place, also OeSENC fingerprint.

Bram
We need a new beta image first. Last was 0.8!
It is good to know that openplotter works good on stretch. Have you test different network settings? Do they all work?

On github the roadmap for stretch is online https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter/projects/2

In stretch you are able to create your own access point with networkmanager. The openplotter network solution in jessie with AP isn't very nice. It comes from Wheezy and many things have changed.
It can be better to use the networkmanager for all networks settings. (If you know a better way. Let us know.)
You can help to get faster to stretch when trying to get networkmanager to work on a clean stretch image so that it work as:
- internet wlan0 and AP wlan1
- AP wlan1 bridge to eth0

This would make installing openplotter on clean raspbian images easier.
i got so frustrated with the way op handles networking, so i moved it all to a router with ddwrt and autoap, plus an orange pi zero with pihole, mosquitto, nodered .
it would not even let me change to different wireless ap said (32)not authorized to control networking.. i am not authorized ?? i am "admin the all powerful." controller of all things PI.. Smile
(2017-12-22, 08:31 AM)e-sailing Wrote: We need a new beta image first. Last was 0.8!
It is good to know that openplotter works good on stretch. Have you test different network settings? Do they all work?

On github the roadmap for stretch is online https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter/projects/2

In stretch you are able to create your own access point with networkmanager. The openplotter network solution in jessie with AP isn't very nice. It comes from Wheezy and many things have changed.
It can be better to use the networkmanager for all networks settings. (If you know a better way. Let us know.)
You can help to get faster to stretch when trying to get networkmanager to work on a clean stretch image so that it work as:
- internet wlan0 and AP wlan1
- AP wlan1 bridge to eth0

This would make installing openplotter on clean raspbian images easier.

Tried here:

internet on wlan0 and AP on wlan1. Works with an extra wifi dongle. Internet on the RPI and comminication with other systems via AP on the same time.

What is the purpose of AP wlan1 to Eth0 ??

Bram
I was too quick not understanding the function of Wlan1 to Eth0. But now I have tried this one also with a cross cable direct to another Linux computer.

After some adjustment and switching the AP wlan1 bridge to Eth0 to on. I can report that this also works.

With cable ethernet connection I can run a VNC client from the other Linux system.

I have internet on wlan0 and AP wireless on wlan1 plus on a fixed connection to another netwerk (computer) connected to Wlan1

Regards,

Bram
All seems to work very well after the upgrade to Linux Stretch. Kernel version now is 4.9.75. VC4 driver to on.

But one thing is missing, the upgrade of OpenPlotter does not work.

Is there a simple way to restore the update possibility ?

Now I do all the updates in Jessy version first and then switch to Stretch. But that is rather complicated.

How about a simple instruction to do the upgrade of OpenPlotter in Linux Stretch. Upgrading to Linux Stretch via the server leaves all all
the settings in place. Also the oeSENC fingerprint.

Why is the item missing ? Although the other upgrades work without problems.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr
i dont understand you want it to work before it's even released ???

https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter/projects/2
Why does not work the OP updater? Are you getting any error?
Dear Sailoog,

if I click on the update OpenPlotter or the OpenCPN-plugins in the OpenPlotter menu, nothing happens.

The terminal screen stays black with no error message and no movement on the screen.

Is there another command I can try ?

What I do now to get the latest OpenPlotter version, is updating OpenPlotter in Jessy first and then replace Jessy with Stretch.

As far as I tried everything then works the same way as before but on another Linux version.

Now running version 0.17.0 and with the latest kernel 4.9.75.

However the only thing that fails is the OpenPlotter Update.

Regards,

Bram
Information about latest OpenCPN beta 4.8.10109

Installed this beta without removing present OpenCPN version 4.8.0 and can report it works great on the Stretch version and the latest kernel 4.9.75.

Bram