This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter update to Linux Stretch version
(2018-01-08, 07:12 PM)jim321 Wrote: verkerkbr
i dont understand you want it to work before it's even released ???

https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter/projects/2

Jim321,

I'am only updating the Linux version Jessy to Linux Stretch (debian 9.2). OpenPlotter add-ons stays the same.

I think it is easier tot replace the Linux version then to install a complete new OpenPlotter version.
Thnaks a lot Bram.

I would not recommend people to update from Jessie but there will be people forced to do it like oeSENC charts users who want keep their license.
Hi Sailoog,

perhaps a silly question. But if you can replace the complete OS with a newer version and I suppose that the OpenPlotter add-ons are separate items.

Why is it not possible for present OP users to replace the OpenPlotter add-ons also via a server update with an new version ? Most of the OP add-ons however are
stil working after the upgrade of the OS. The oeSENC chart sets is of course an important. Also other settings are important. As I stated before the latest OpenCPN beta
version works here without any major problems and with the chart sets as before.

Regards,

Bram
Hello,

I have a Debian installation installed from the raspberrypi website. And I think I'm not the only one like that.

I am looking to install "OpenPlotter". But, the only accessible solution for this, which I found, is to go through the installation of Noobs "in the version you created.

This is not necessarily convenient for users who already have a "classic" installation working properly.

Is there a directly exploitable file or a ppa in which "OpenPlotter" is stored?

Thank by advance. Gilletarom.
Quote: I have a Debian installation installed from the raspberrypi website. And I think I'm not the only one like that.

I am looking to install "OpenPlotter". But, the only accessible solution for this, which I found, is to go through the installation of Noobs "in the version you created.

This is not necessarily convenient for users who already have a "classic" installation working properly.

Is there a directly exploitable file or a ppa in which "OpenPlotter" is stored?

Thank by advance. Gilletarom.

I know it's complicated to explain, but OPlotter is made up of many small parts. Some created directly by Sailoog but many others belong to third parties (OpenCpn, Kplex, Python, aisdecoder, Signal K, Node-red, etc. etc. etc.). 

And among so many pieces you have to choose the appropriate versions of each library and this has to be done by hand since some of them cause errors and conflicts. To top it all off, you have to add small tweaks to the system by hand to optimize performance and ensure that some functions perform their role.

So it is not as simple as buid a package and place it in a PPA to download. OPLotter is more like a tapestry that has to be woven correctly for the final result to be functional and elegant.

It is much easier to start with a basic OPlotter system and add other software (kodi for example) than if you can do as usual with packages and PPAś than to implement OPlotter over a clean Raspbian. In fact OPlotter is already a true clean Raspbian. There is therefore no advantage over the idea of installing OPlotter after a Raspbian install.
It's not like the sea has such a bad temper.
The real bastard is the wind.
The sea... simply gets carried away.
I have to say sorry for the delay updating OP to debian stretch but we are fighting on two fronts right now, the Moitessier hat and the autopilot from Sean. The good news is that we will win on both Smile
Probably the autopilot will be added on the current version and Moitessier hat will be added on the next one based on Stretch.
I have done the first test with the Moitessier hat prototype and all features are working like a charm. AIS, GPS, IMU, temp, press and hum. Programing the necessary code in OP now.
That's an exciting update, Sailoog. Can't wait to play with those new features and gadgets.
Just made a new SD card. Updated Linux Jessie and OpenPlotter first to version 0.17. Then did the large update to Linux Stretch. Updated to kernel version to 4.14.18. Switching on the VC4.

And to my surprise OpenGL works now in OpenCPN 4.8.2. Screen movements are now very quick.