This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Access to data on Access point
I have an Rpi3 running OpenPlotter 0.10.0 alpha.  I am running the wifi as an access point.  I have given it an SSID and a Password.  the Wlan0 is configured as 169.254.131.205/16.    I have a Kbox (a Teensy based system) which collects all my NMEA 0183 data from my instruments and sends it out over a wifi network.  If I don't use the Rpi as an AP and connect to the Kbox wifi, I get data streaming in for OpenCPN.  But I don't want the system configured that way, I want the Rpi to be the access point.  So I have started the Kbox so that it connects to the Rpi SSID.  I get a connection and it says connected to 10.10.10.1 and it gives its IP as 10.10.10.169.  

My question is how do I tell OpenPlotter that I want to receive NMEA 0183 data from its access point wifi?  I have gone to the NMEA0183 tab and input for the Port/Address everything from localhost, to 10.10.10.1 to 169.254.131.205, etc and tried several ports 16 - 6, but I never see any data coming from the Kbox.  I know it is sending it because the log file for the Kbox says it is and if I run ifconfig on the pi I can see received  (and transmitted) packets in the wlan0 section (inet addr: 10.10.10.1).  Also I can ping the kbox at its IP 10.10.10.169 from the Rpi and I get a response.  But I cannot seem to set up OpenPlotter (or OpenCPN) to read (or even show) the data coming from the Kbox.  

There must be something simple I am doing wrong.  I did not find anything about setting something like an external wifi data provider in the documentation, so I am hoping someone here can help me out.

thanks,
Ron
Ok, well I figured it out. It really was a matter of trial and error, not like I really understand how this is working. But once I started the Rpi AP (using OpenPlotter) then the Kbox would connect and report an IP address. The problem was I did not know what port to listen on. Well the Kbox is set up to send its data on a given port when it is the AP, so I tried that same port and that worked. So now the Rpi is the AP and it is receiving my NMEA0183 data over its WiFi from the kbox. I setup a NMEA0183 connection in the appropriate OpenPlotter tab and when I run the diagnostics I see the data. I thought this would automatically transfer to OpenCPN, but I did not find that to be the case. I had to input the same connection info into OpenCPN before it would also receive the data. No biggie, but I thought the purpose of OpenPlotter was to do all that setup. I am not sure.

anyway thanks for looking.
Ron
If you are getting data from the TCP/UDP input you created, it should be sent to localhost:10109 automatically and opencpn should listen to that address:port

[Image: opencpn1.jpg]
Ok, I will check that out and see if that is the case.

thanks,
ron
(2017-09-08, 03:23 AM)CapnRon Wrote: Ok, I will check that out and see if that is the case.

thanks,
ron

As you said that does work.  I added local host:10109 in OpenCPN, but when I initially removed the specific network connection in OpenCPN, that dropped my connection from Kbox.  I went back to OpenPlotter and ran the diagnostics for my Kbox connection and the connection was remade (as data was scrolling) and now OpenCpn is receiving the data over that standard localhost port.

thanks,
Ron
I don't seem to be able to both use the wlan0 as an access point and connect to the internet with the Eth0 connection (on my Rpi 3).  I thought when I checked the box in openplotter WiFi AP for Sharing internet device as eth0 that would allow an internet connection over eth0, but that does not seem to be the case.  I tried enabling the bridge to eth0, but that did not work either.  The only way I can get the eth0 to connect to the intenet is to turn off the Access Point.  I am correct in this or have I missed something.

thanks,
Ron

The other issue I have is that even though the Access point is started at start up, my kbox does not connect until I go the NMEA 0183 tab and click on Restart. Do I need to have the kbox start before OpenPlotter on Rpi (I will check that configuration)?

Ron
What I said is not correct. If Kbox is running and I start the AP it will connect, I think I just have to wait long enough.

ron