This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forward I2C signals to server K and OpenCPN
Question 
Hi,

I did attach some questions to old threads on similar subjects but thought best to start new thread

I have a RPi3 with Sense hat (I already have it and will distance from RPi via a ribbon cable, to be kept down below and use VNC to Android tablet / phones)

I have the I2C signals in Openplotter - I can see them in 'Inspect'

But I have no idea how to get them to OpenCPN (I add them to Dash but empty) and server K

Do I have to 'forward' them to IMEA or something?

As you can see, I am a begginner in all of this

However, I do have some background in sensors etc even if it isn't my field, and can follow instructions or leads and learn Smile

Effectively, I have the signals, but cant use them

I have 0.8 and 0.10 on two different SD cards, but am using 0.8 as this has 'Inspect' and at least the heading has been passed to OpenCPN as it's value is displayed in the Dash and the boat position marker rotates as the sense hat does
(so perhaps I could use how heading has been done as a 'template' for the other signals to follow - if I knew where to look)

Thanks for you patience, hopefully

Leigh
(2017-10-02, 12:17 PM)Leigh Wrote: Hi,

I did attach some questions to old threads on similar subjects but thought best to start new thread

I have a RPi3 with Sense hat (I already have it and will distance from RPi via a ribbon cable, to be kept down below and use VNC to Android tablet / phones)

But I have no idea how to get them to OpenCPN (I add them to Dash but empty) and server K

However, I do have some background in sensors etc even if it isn't my field, and can follow instructions or leads and learn Smile

I have 0.8 and 0.10 on two different SD cards, but am using 0.8 as this has 'Inspect' and at least the heading has been passed to OpenCPN as it's value is displayed in the Dash and the boat position marker rotates as the sense hat does
(so perhaps I could use how heading has been done as a 'template' for the other signals to follow - if I knew where to look)

Leigh

Which sensors do you want to display in the dashboard ? Unfortunately the dashboard is a bit limited with the nmea it accepts so you might need to convert the NMEA sentences. - What do they look like in the signalk inspector? 

Plus - it's probably a good idea to update openplotter to 15.1 before starting to work on this, there have been so many changes some things which work on 15.1 probably won't work on the older versions. 

__
The Dashboard Plugin recognizes the following input NMEA sentences:
  • DBT - Depth Below Transducer
  • DPT - Depth of Water
  • GGA - Global Positioning System Fix Data
  • GLL - Geographic Position - Latitude/Longitude HDG Heading - Deviation & Variation
  • HDM - Heading - Magnetic
  • HDT - Heading - True
  • MTA - Air Temperature (obsolete)
  • MDA - Meteorological Composite (obsolete)
  • MTW - Mean Temperature of Water
  • VLW - Distance Traveled through Water
  • MWD - Wind Direction & Speed
  • MWV - Wind Speed and Angle
  • RMC - Recommended Minimum Navigation Information
  • RSA - Rudder Sensor Angle
  • VHW - Water speed and heading
  • VTG - Track made good and Ground speed
  • VWR - Relative Wind Speed and Angle
  • VWT - True Windspeed and Angle (obsolete)
  • ZDA -Time & Date - UTC, day, month, year and local time zone
  • AIVDO - Automatic Information System (AIS) position reports from own vessel
(2017-10-02, 01:34 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-10-02, 12:17 PM)Leigh Wrote: Hi,

Leigh

Which sensors do you want to display in the dashboard ? Unfortunately the dashboard is a bit limited with the nmea it accepts so you might need to convert the NMEA sentences. - What do they look like  in the signalk inspector? 

Plus - it's probably a good idea to update openplotter to 15.1 before starting to work on this, there have been so many changes some things which work on 15.1 probably won't work on the older versions. 

__
The Dashboard Plugin recognizes the following input NMEA sentences:
  • DBT - Depth Below Transducer
  • DPT - Depth of Water
  • GGA - Global Positioning System Fix Data
  • GLL - Geographic Position - Latitude/Longitude HDG Heading - Deviation & Variation
  • HDM - Heading - Magnetic
  • HDT - Heading - True
  • MTA - Air Temperature (obsolete)
  • MDA - Meteorological Composite (obsolete)
  • MTW - Mean Temperature of Water
  • VLW - Distance Traveled through Water
  • MWD - Wind Direction & Speed
  • MWV - Wind Speed and Angle
  • RMC - Recommended Minimum Navigation Information
  • RSA - Rudder Sensor Angle
  • VHW - Water speed and heading
  • VTG - Track made good and Ground speed
  • VWR - Relative Wind Speed and Angle
  • VWT - True Windspeed and Angle (obsolete)
  • ZDA -Time & Date - UTC, day, month, year and local time zone
  • AIVDO - Automatic Information System (AIS) position reports from own vessel

Thanks Paddy,

That explains why magnetic Heading is shown in the Dashboard, but not heel or pitch then?

Is there anyway I can output heel to, say, Signal K or anything else so I could see this on my Phone, or anywhere else?

I am confused by the latest versions; from http://www.sailoog.com/en I downloaded Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.10.0 NOOBS and Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.8.0 NOOBS

Where do I get 15.1?

Sorry, on the 0.8 version there is no Update tab, but I used the 0.10 version and saw it there, currently updating everything
Hello,
Please update everything first. OP 0.15.1

The OpenCpn dashboard can display heel and pitch. See this Threat.
Normally, the OR forwards all data to OpenCpn. http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=730
Greetings Jürgen

Attached Files Image(s)

Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
Thumbs Up 
(2017-10-03, 03:02 AM)Luckbert Wrote: Hello,
Please update everything first. OP 0.15.1

The OpenCpn dashboard can display heel and pitch. See this Threat.
Normally, the OR forwards all data to OpenCpn. http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=730
Greetings Jürgen

Thanks!

I did the following:

1. Raspberry Pi 3 with Sensehat
  2. Downloaded 0.10.0 OP from the website & installed it
  3. Updated everything from the update tab in OP (Raspbian, OpenCPN, OP to 0.15.1)
  4. In OP ticked the Mag Heading, heel & pitch in the Compass tag
  5. In OP Added the listed sensors in the I2C tab
  6. In OP Tools > NMEA 0183 Generator > OpenCPN defaults
  7. In OpenCPN Options > Plugins > Dashboard > Preference: Add, Heel, Pitch
Now it all works!

Thanks again Smile
Attention, please.
Heel is not heel but roll.
See the link above.
Sailoog is working on it.
(2017-10-03, 10:07 AM)Luckbert Wrote: Attention, please.
Heel is not heel but roll.
See the link above.
Sailoog is working on it.

Thanks,

I did notice that it seemed to be some sort of acceleration (heel angle vs rate-of-roll of the vessel), which tied in to your thread.

I also noticed that true heading goes to -2 degrees before switching to 357 degrees, so slight calculation bug somewhere
OK, thx