This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Poll: Do you want qtVlm integrated into OpenPlotter?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
57.14%
20 57.14%
No
42.86%
15 42.86%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Integrate qtVlm on OpenPlotter
I don't think qtvlm should be included because it has no source code.   We should report this violation to sourceforge, they should not be allowed to host on that site.

Furthermore, could someone please explain what (if anything) this software provides that isn't already possible using opencpn?

opencpn can download grib files from requested areas from the grib plugin
opencpn can compute weather routes with the weather routing plugin
mbtile charts can be easily converted to kap files and loaded into opencpn

If there is anything qtvlm does better, I want to know about it, so I make opencpn do that, even better.

I cannot even try qtvlm because there is no binary for my platform (arm64) and so it cannot even run.   OpenCPN would not compile on arm64, until I modified the source code (pull request pending) and now it works great.  Too bad I cannot recompile qtvlm so that I can actually use it.
(2017-10-16, 03:46 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I don't think qtvlm should be included because it has no source code.   We should report this violation to sourceforge, they should not be allowed to host on that site.

Furthermore, could someone please explain what (if anything) this software provides that isn't already possible using opencpn?

opencpn can download grib files from requested areas from the grib plugin
opencpn can compute weather routes with the weather routing plugin
mbtile charts can be easily converted to kap files and loaded into opencpn

If there is anything qtvlm does better, I want to know about it, so I make opencpn do that, even better.

I cannot even try qtvlm because there is no binary for my platform (arm64) and so it cannot even run.   OpenCPN would not compile on arm64, until I modified the source code (pull request pending) and now it works great.  Too bad I cannot recompile qtvlm so that I can actually use it.

I agree but mainly i will use not opencpn just for AIS... The problem is that opencpn converting the mbtile charts to KAP step is not as easy as you describe... i speak for the most common use in europe... and this is rivers and lakes.

Mbtiles i have and tiles too but the converting my power of the laptop is not enough.as long the charts policy in OpenCPN is so only to support the Kap filesits usefull for a lots of people but not inside Europe and river use... From my position i can say the most use for this that the KAP files are only available for Europe its a part to drop and kick OPENCPN. I did need just for the Ijseelmeer to convert nearly 3 months!!!! And result in information is much more less for my needs than in Mbtiles. because here i can simulate a route and download the tiles during this simulation.

We are not lucky in Europe that the government give us for free the KAP files.

From this possition i think OPEN CPN is usefull for USA but not for Europe and i guess its the used file format
The poll is over and I have a problem. YES: 20 and NO: 15.

There are 10 users who voted YES and joined this forum the same day the poll started and all of them have 0 post on this forum. 2 of them are qtVlm developers and I guess the rest of them are OP/qtVlm users. No problem with this but...

Most active openplotter users of this forum and all moderators and administrators have voted NO. There is 1 user who voted NO with 0 post too. I have to confess that initially I voted YES but I changed to NO after reading a post of shark24 who made me remind why we are doing this. It seemed to me a good idea to include an alternative to opencpn to complement and improve features but it is true that we must focus on improving open-source options when they are available instead of promote privative or closed options. As seandepagnier said, opencpn developers have plans to add mbtiles and improve grib and weather routing management and having another app doing this it could demotivate opencpn development.

So, as we need a solomonic decision, we have decided not to include qtVlm by default in openplotter but make it ready to run qtVlm installing all needed packages or dependencies and adding a note on documentation for users who want to install and run qtVlm by themselves.

I know some users will not like this, sorry, we could revise this in the future. qtVlm made his decision closing the source and it must be respected but that has pros an cons. Probably they earn more money now and that is good for them but loosing support from open-source community was a natural consequence that they should be ready for. They have contracts with companies that they can not break and I have a contract with you that I am not going to break either. OP needs the active users and contributors of this forum and it can not afford to lose them.

Peace and sail Smile
I would agree with that decision, if the dependancies are in there then that's a good half way house. To be honest Opencpn covers most of what it can do anyway for probably the majority of users and https://www.fastseas.com does a good job of weather routing without having to set up another program.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
on any future polls we should require a minimum number of post's to qualify ..
anyone could create many accounts and screw up the polls ..
example how many pairs of shoes can i sell ya..lol
i think you have come up with a good compromise.
jim
@sailoog

Good decision. I think qtvlm should be allowed to be installed from a menu. The user should be warned with a disclaimer:

qtVlm software is not open source. It is proprietary. Although it reportedly works as advertized, without being able to inspect the source code, it is impossible to verify that it has no malicious actions such as:

1) selling your routes/tracks to various corporations.
2) downloading incorrect/dangerous chart data.
3) reporting computed routes that are not really the optimal route.
4) compromising the security and functionality of other applications.
5) creating a backdoor into your computer

If you understand the risks and wish to continue click YES. Otherwise click NO.

(2017-10-18, 10:26 AM)tocan Wrote: I agree but mainly i will use not opencpn just for AIS... The problem is that opencpn converting the mbtile charts to KAP step is not as easy as you describe... i speak for the most common use in europe... and this is rivers and lakes.
1) It is as easy as running the script mbtiles2kaps.py on the mbtiles file
2) Isn't inland waterways in europe already freely available in kap format??

Quote:Mbtiles i have and tiles too but the converting my power of the laptop is not enough.
Did the script crash? Please explain.
Quote:as long the charts policy in OpenCPN is so only to support the Kap filesits usefull for a lots of people but not inside Europe and river use...
Again, inland waterways are available already.

Furthermore, it is not a policy. In fact I started mbtiles native support and got sidetracked. I will get around to it sooner or later. It is not difficult to make it work, but it's a little tricky to make it really efficient and support the transparency and overlay features.
Quote: From my position i can say the most use for this that the KAP files are only available for Europe its a part to drop and kick OPENCPN. I did need just for the Ijseelmeer to convert nearly 3 months!!!! And result in information is much more less for my needs than in Mbtiles. because here i can simulate a route and download the tiles during this simulation.
We are not lucky in Europe that the government give us for free the KAP files.

From this possition i think OPEN CPN is usefull for USA but not for Europe and i guess its the used file format

The government gives you files in MBTILES format??

Otherwise I think it's the problem of government, not the file format.
I think that's a perfect decision, Sailoog. I think that's a perfect decision, Sailoog. It is respectful of the needs of all parties. Welcome, qtVLM users to Openplotter, and this forum!
(2017-10-19, 05:00 AM)Saqqara Wrote: I think that's a perfect decision, Sailoog. I think that's a perfect decision, Sailoog. It is respectful of the needs of all parties. Welcome, qtVLM users to Openplotter, and this forum!

I totally agree - respectful and wise, as it now leaves also the door open and adds encouragement to the qtVlm developers to add oesenc chart support.
Sailoog
Sorry I missed the poll (been away sailing) but agree with your final decision.
I feel a bit uneasy about a number of (0) posters registering and then affecting the poll like this so I also think the idea of a minimum number of posts before allowing vote in a poll is sound. (How about a nice round number of 63 posts) Smile
Regards
i changed my mind - change my vote to "do not integrate"