This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introducing OpenPlotter hats!!!
No Plans for CAN (NMEA2000) ?

Seems like it would only add a few dollars to the cost of one of these Hats.

Cheers,
JM.
I did now decide for next year not to use the hat, because i did bought me for AIS a used class A transponder und was allways most important for me to support Openstreetmap and Openseamap project so i decide to log with the official Datalogger there. in general this way i have place for another head.

http://wkla.no-ip.biz/ArduinoWiki/doku.p...uino:oseam
http://www.cns.se/Products/AIS_Mobile_Transponders

When the new version of openplotter will come? I like during winter to setup the final system at home. For Inland still OpenCPN is only parial usefull because of not existing use of mtiles and tiles.
(2018-01-06, 07:47 PM)tocan Wrote: I did now decide for next year not to use the hat, because i did bought me for AIS a used class A transponder  und was allways most important for me to support Openstreetmap and Openseamap project so i decide to log with the official Datalogger there. in general this way i have place for another head.

http://wkla.no-ip.biz/ArduinoWiki/doku.p...uino:oseam
http://www.cns.se/Products/AIS_Mobile_Transponders

When the new version of openplotter will come? I like during winter to setup the final system at home. For Inland still OpenCPN is only parial usefull because of not existing use of mtiles and tiles.

The hat looks great I like the idea of putting the gps on the hat. My experience with temp sensors attached to a hat is not a good idea generally as the RPI gives off heat causing incarcerate readings.
I agree with Tocan I support Openseamap /openstreetmap. But with no tiles available for my area or i have not found a way to do this. My current setup is a UPS pico with your proto board on top. and the following lines broken out 3.3v,ground, SDA,SCL,1Wire and the serial lines. this goes to another box via Cat6 cable with the i2c sensors. I made a 1w bus on this and Terminals for the serial port.
I am hoping to find RJ45 jacks i can connect the 2 boxes with. I have issues with UPS PICO as they have been very unreliable getting updates out to fix bugs due to proprietary dev software.
I do not use AIS as no one has this on lake Winnipeg. I have non nmea Depth sounder to be replaced suggestions welcome. My second depth sounder is a old wrench tied to 33m tape measure. very high teck accurate to 1 cm.
I stopped using node red on RPI as it has issues so I run it on the laptop to display Sensor data and SignalK Instrument panel.
I use 2 Epsolar tracer A charge controllers via modbus/USB and some python code to send data to SignalK.
Everything is vary stable now. i had a few bad unrelated updates that were causing problems but thanks to some help all is good.
I would like to add RFTAG sensor i could attach to my PDF so if i fall off my boat would stop or alarm if i fall off.
(2018-01-06, 07:47 PM)tocan Wrote: When the new version of openplotter will come? I like during winter to setup the final system at home. For Inland still OpenCPN is only parial usefull because of not existing use of mtiles and tiles.

mtiles? Do you mean mbtiles?

I have scripts that can easily convert these into format opencpn can use. I already have complete world charts in this way.

As for inland waterways (europe I am assuming) These charts are available in kap format already from the inbuilt chart downloader. I also have many charts, including most areas in europe, in raster format, as well as vector charts in s57 format. I don't think you can find better charts in mbtiles which tiles are you using?

mbtiles are designed for imagery. They have specific scale factors and projections only, and therefore are not ideally suited for nautical charts. Despite this, they can be used, and provide much better random access than supported formats due to their tiled nature. They are widely available from tile servers, but again, they can easily be converted to kap format without losing data, so can at least be used.
(2018-01-01, 06:27 PM)NahanniV Wrote: No Plans for CAN (NMEA2000) ?

Seems like it would only add a few dollars to the cost of one of these Hats.

Cheers,
JM.

There is no place to add N2K to the planed hats so it should be an extra hat with optical isolation.
ddelorme wrote: "My experience with temp sensors attached to a hat is not a good idea generally as the RPI gives off heat causing incarcerate readings.
I agree with Tocan I support Openseamap /openstreetmap. But with no tiles available for my area or i have not found a way to do this. My current setup is a UPS pico with your proto board on top. and the following lines broken out 3.3v,ground, SDA,SCL,1Wire and the serial lines. this goes to another box via Cat6 cable with the i2c sensors. I made a 1w bus on this and Terminals for the serial port.
I am hoping to find RJ45 jacks i can connect the 2 boxes with."

Not to second guess people way smarter than me, but I was also surprised the IMU was directly on a hat. Openplotter documentation has also long recommended that the IMU be distanced from the Pi due to magnetic interference. Like you and others I have my two i2c components (IMU and humidity sensor) in a "puck" which can be screwed in a fixed position a distance from the other hardware.
Logically it makes sense to move the sensors away, but until someone can demonstrate that there is a significant improvement, I am not convinced it is worthwhile.

I have done plenty of testing with the imu directly above the raspberry and the compass is good enough. Keep in mind, the kalman filter uses the gyros and the compass essentially corrects for gyro drift. The autocalibration routines correct for distortions around the compass.

The only thing I can think of that would cause problems is stray magnetic fields, but I cannot find any. Do the switching regulators emit enough interference to make a measurable increase in noise??

The easiest way to test would be to run the scope from the compass tab. Check the "imu.compass" sensors, and watch them, and look at the noise levels. This would be best to do on land, or on a stationary platform, not a boat swinging at anchor. I tried this and didn't notice any significant difference when moving the sensors around.

I did measure a difference if the wires going to an electric motor (wires that carry more than 1 amp) are within a few cm of the sensors. If you had an external hard spinning drive near the raspberry, or usb devices that draw a lot of current it could potentially cause problems.

Temperature sensors are different, they will obviously give a false reading as the raspberry generates quite a few degrees of heat above ambient in most cases.
That's good to hear.

I do prefer mine be mounted separately as I have it, if for no other reason than the rest of my pile of hardware and wires is a shifting and movable mass, always changing. But a neat stack of hats resolves much of that!
(2018-01-08, 11:23 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Logically it makes sense to move the sensors away, but until someone can demonstrate that there is a significant improvement, I am not convinced it is worthwhile.

I have done plenty of testing with the imu directly above the raspberry and the compass is good enough.  Keep in mind, the kalman filter uses the gyros and the compass essentially corrects for gyro drift.   The autocalibration routines correct for distortions around the compass.

The only thing I can think of that would cause problems is stray magnetic fields, but I cannot find any.  Do the switching regulators emit enough interference to make a measurable increase in noise??

The easiest way to test would be to run the scope from the compass tab.  Check the "imu.compass" sensors, and watch them, and look at the noise levels.   This would be best to do on land, or on a stationary platform, not a boat swinging at anchor.   I tried this and didn't notice any significant difference when moving the sensors around.

I did measure a difference if the wires going to an electric motor (wires that carry more than 1 amp) are within a few cm of the sensors.    If you had an external hard spinning drive near the raspberry, or usb devices that draw a lot of current it could potentially cause problems.

Temperature sensors are different, they will obviously give a false reading as the raspberry generates quite a few degrees of heat above ambient in most cases.
I never had issues withe the gyros/ compass as you said no real issue. more noise in house when testing from AC. It was conveyance as i was moving my Humidity,temp/pressure sensor because of heat issues from the pi and it fit nicely on the board. I had a sense hat before but found it had a lot of stuff i did not need.
Hi Sean how are yaa... Hey i got an old marine pilot 1600 I was wondering if it would be hackable for your system as a drive for the tiller or build new and keep it as a spare?
We had always recommended placing far away the IMU but after pypilot calibration implementation this has improved a lot and now it is not critical.