This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPi1 - Noobs 0.10.0
Is the Pi2 still supported?

I ask because I am having difficulties with a headless silent install.

I've done this process 3 times now:
- Latest Noobs onto SDFormated 16gb card
- Powered up the Pi, ACT light flashes for about 15secs then stops as if it is stalling at a "select OS to install" screen.
- Allowed to sit for 30mins then power cycle and 5mins untouched to boot.
- I can ping 10.10.10.1 from LAN but no SSH or VNC access. This makes me think it has installed...
- Looked at the SD card on Linux machine, only shows "Settings" volume. I do not see a "root" vol. Windows OS shows "Backup" and another volume it cannot read, I assume that's the "Settings" volume. This makes me think it has NOT installed...

- I did try a HDMI but I think the Pi output is not strong enough to trigger the screen on...
- Tried 0.8.0 IMG flashed onto a card, it booted. After running upgrade and update openplotter was still 0.8.0. Tried git clone to OP folder but then OP stopped working. So now back to trying 0.10.0 Noobs.

Not sure what else to try, I'd really like it to work headless for emergency re-install situations. Edit some prefs in the Noobs OS before install? Ideas?

EDIT* Figured out the GPIO UART access. Takes my PuTTY to "Welcome to rescue system". Logged in and it's sitting at a #.
EDIT* Confirmed that a fresh copy of Noobs OP when first booted takes my PuTTY UART connection directly to rescue system login. Trying to figure out what commands I can use to "install" the op OS directory but am a bit lost.

Quote:If the SD card was not previously initialized correctly, you may get to the rescue system:

Welcome to the rescue system
recovery login: root
Password: raspberry
# pwd
/root

If this message appears, that means that the SD card was not properly initialized. With NOOBs, the initial installation needs to be completed with a keyboard and mouse. After the initial install, the keyboard or monitor are no longer needed.
You can not update to 0.10.0 from 0.8.0

SSH is disabled by default

Are you sure your VNC program is working right and can connect to 10.10.10.1:5900? Do not use RealVNC

If you can not go headless try to start with a monitor to find out what is happening

I will move this post to How do I? forum
(2017-11-25, 12:27 PM)Sailoog Wrote: You can not update to 0.10.0 from 0.8.0

SSH is disabled by default

Are you sure your VNC program is working right and can connect to 10.10.10.1:5900? Do not use RealVNC

If you can not go headless try to start with a monitor to find out what is happening

I will move this post to How do I? forum

Tried TightVNC as well as RealVNC, neither work. Being that the Pi boots into rescue mode that I can see from my serial monitor I don't think anything has installed.

The point I'm getting at is in an emergency/remote location it might be very important to re-install without a screen. Headless install worked on the Pi3, doesn't seem to be working on the Pi2.

I've even disabled the keyboard recovery shift trigger

Code:
quiet ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram0 init=/init vt.cur_default=1 elevator=deadline silentinstall keyboardtriggerdisable display=2

Is there anything else I can change in the recovery.cmdline file to force a install of the /os dir?

Or once I'm in the rescue prompt can I manually install?

Just did a check to make sure it was a Pi2. Looks like it's a Pi1 Rev B. Is there support for this model?

This is from cat /proc/cpuinfo
Code:
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS        : 697.95
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
Revision        : 000e
Serial          : 000000006fcfc1ce
"The point I'm getting at is in an emergency/remote location it might be very important to re-install without a screen. Headless install worked on the Pi3, doesn't seem to be working on the Pi2."

in that case i would hope you backed up your sys..
i use a card reader and back up the sd card ..so that i have one to put in in case i screw something up
the problem with this is no one back's up regularly me included Smile
jim
(2017-11-26, 01:06 AM)jim321 Wrote: "The point I'm getting at is in an emergency/remote location it might be very important to re-install without a screen. Headless install worked on the Pi3, doesn't seem to be working on the Pi2."

in that case i would hope you backed up your sys..
i use a card reader and back up the sd card ..so that i have one to put in in case i screw something up
the problem with this is no one back's up regularly me included Smile
jim

Absolutely, a trusted backup is important. I should have said a re-install from scratch if all you have access to is the Noobs (ie. lost all data/backup, no screen but have internet access to internet at a port).
Ok I'm getting somewhere... Realized the P1 is not supported. Being me, I modified the Noobs files to allow the install of OP and it loaded fine.

When I try to run OP from the icon the splash screen comes up and then disappears after 30secs.

When I run "openplotter" from the bash at ".config/openplotter" folder I get this.

Code:
pi@openplotter:~/.config/openplotter $ openplotter
Signal K starting
Signal K starting
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter", line 3250, in <module>
   MainFrame().Show()
 File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter", line 222, in __init__
   self.page_sk()
 File "/home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter", line 2744, in page_sk
   response = requests.get('http://localhost:3000/signalk')
 File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/api.py", line 60, in get
   return request('get', url, **kwargs)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/api.py", line 49, in request
   return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 457, in request
   resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 569, in send
   r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 407, in send
   raise ConnectionError(err, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: ('Connection aborted.', error(111, 'Connection refused'))

- Am I wasting my time trying to get it running on Pi1? I would never try to run OpenCPN as it's too slow.
- All I want from it is a GUI interface for multi-plexing NMEA 0183 and N2K as well as a few other awesome OP functions. Yes I know I could just use Kplex.
- I do not need SignalK, WiFi, SMS or any of the other features along those lines.
- Even if I get it functioning, will it likely break again with each future update needing me to modify some files again for compatibility?
P1? you said P2

P1 is not compatible because opencpn should be compiled not installed. Same for node.js that is needed to run signal k that is needed to convert from N2K.

Yes, it will break on each future update.
(2017-11-29, 07:27 PM)Sailoog Wrote: P1? you said P2

P1 is not compatible because opencpn should be compiled not installed. Same for node.js that is needed to run signal k that is needed to convert from N2K.

Yes, it will break on each future update.

Yes sorry, that is the root of the issue. I thought it was a P2 but acactually a P1.

However, I did get it to work! Manually removed and installed the correct NodeJS and NPM versions. Updated OP, broke again so manually changed NodeJS/NPM. And it works! Running 0.16.0 on RPi1.

Maybe I'll edit this thread to show steps on how to make it work for others.
Congratulations Smile
is opencpn completely unusable?

changing the title of this post to RP1