This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, I give up
Agreed. A card with slow small file r/w will cripple the RPi. Do not be fooled by the speed rating for sequential reads. Even the Sandisk Ultra is slow at small file r/w, although it may be a slight improvement over what you have now. Go for the Samsung Pro Select or Sandisk Extreme Pro. The Rpi can't utilize the Sequential speed capability, but the small file r/w will improve significantly.

I do use Openplotter as a server on my boat (stuffed in the A/C closet), then run OpenCPN on another Rpi in the saloon, and on Android in the cockpit. That works very well.

On another note - I agree that the Rpi Touchscreen is a waste of money. Resolution is too low, screen too small, and touch a pain. A 13" Elecrow (12 v) on a Ram mount works much bettter in the saloon.
(2017-12-04, 04:00 AM)waterman480 Wrote: Agreed.  A card with slow small file r/w will cripple the RPi.  Do not be fooled by the speed rating for sequential reads.  Even the Sandisk Ultra is slow at small file r/w, although it may be a slight improvement over what you have now.  Go for the Samsung Pro Select or Sandisk Extreme Pro.  The Rpi can't utilize the Sequential speed capability, but the small file r/w will improve significantly.

I do use Openplotter as a server on my boat (stuffed in the A/C closet), then run OpenCPN on Rpi in the saloon, and on Android in the cockpit.  That works very well.  

On another note - I agree that the Rpi Touchscreen is a waste of money.  Resolution is too low, screen too small, and touch a pain.  A 13" Elecrow (12 v) on a Ram mount works much bettter in the salloon.

Wow, only a $120
I was looking at the faytech daylight read able but that may be just as viable if I get the rpi to speed up, imagining the new sd right now, so we'll see
Depending on how much money you want to invest, I recommend just going to a USB SSD drive. I was very impressed at the improvement in performance over even high performance SD cards.

Even though the RPI3 is supposed to be made to boot directly from a USB drive, I've never been able to get it to work. It's not a huge issue, however. It's relatively easy to put the /boot directory on an SD card and redirect the root to the USB drive. The PI doesn't touch the SD card after boot. Everything just seems to work faster, even with a cheap, low performance SSD, and there's no worry of wearing out your SD card.
I have those laying around but don't know how to make it work
Issue I have right now is I can't even find an .img version of open plotter, I'm not having a good day lol
Let's try again morrow
(2017-12-04, 03:31 AM)vapochilled Wrote: Monos, great point, I'd not thought about the SD card
card I'm using is a 16gb sandisk HCi  ?
I do have 32gb sandisk Ultra, I'll try that and report back

Thanks again for the suggestion

Does the sd you use look like this one?

[Image: 51g66r8g6-L.jpg]

or this other one?

[Image: rcwuof1497959847760.jpg]

The first is clearly slow. I know it because I got it. But the second one is much better. In general, those designed for mobile phones are usually fine. Any with ultra or extreme label works great. Look for the XC1 label too.

[Image: bcjl1487736205858.jpg]

I have a Samsumg EVO that also works very well.

[Image: art_sam-flash%20microsd%2064gb%20evop_1.jpg]

(2017-12-04, 05:27 AM)abarrow Wrote: Depending on how much money you want to invest, I recommend just going to a USB SSD drive. I was very impressed at the improvement in performance over even high performance SD cards.

Even though the RPI3 is supposed to be made to boot directly from a USB drive, I've never been able to get it to work. It's not a huge issue, however. It's relatively easy to put the /boot directory on an SD card and redirect the root to the USB drive. The PI doesn't touch the SD card after boot. Everything just seems to work faster, even with a cheap, low performance SSD, and there's no worry of wearing out your SD card.
In the Telegram channel that we have fot the Spanish users, I  posted a modified version of OPlotter that was already updated to version 0.16.0beta and also came prepared with the latest version of NOOBS, which allows booting directly from USB.

It boots perfectly from a 16GB USB sandisk, but I've also tried to boot it from a 256GB SSD disk and it doesn't boot. There may be a limit to the amount of data that the system can manage for booting... I don't know.

What is certain is that with a good 16GB or 32GB card the Rpi 3 runs quite well and I don't feel comfortable with the speed problems that the teammate vapochilled comments to have.

(2017-12-04, 06:09 AM)vapochilled Wrote: I have those laying around but don't know how to make it work
Issue I have right now is I can't even find an .img version of open plotter, I'm not having a good day lol
Let's try again morrow

No .img files from the latest OPlotter compilations are available. The latest versions use the NOOBS system that allows you to boot an SD just copying the files as usual using a file explorer.

You can download the last version 0.10.0alfa fron here:

https://mega.nz/#!aMgTDZIR!Reotv8jDECzVK...fkZBH0EJys

In the telegram channel you have both versions. The latest compilation of Sailoog 0.10.0alfa in english and the modified unofficial 0.16.0beta in spanish (can change the lang. as usual).

Both are installed in the same way. The downloaded file is decompressed. The files inside the uncompressed folder are copied to a formatted SD and run.
I didn't know about the IMG versions, I just installed Openplotter on an SD card, then moved the root partition to the SSD. "dd" command works well for this, then check the partition in gpartd to expand it to full size. After that, you need to discover the PARTID of the SSD drive and use that in the boot line in /boot/cmdline.txt so that it uses the new drive as root. There are lots of tutorials online on how to do this.
(2017-12-04, 09:37 AM)monos Wrote:
(2017-12-04, 03:31 AM)vapochilled Wrote: Monos, great point, I'd not thought about the SD card
card I'm using is a 16gb sandisk HCi  ?
I do have 32gb sandisk Ultra, I'll try that and report back

Thanks again for the suggestion

Does the sd you use look like this one?

[Image: 51g66r8g6-L.jpg]

or this other one?

[Image: rcwuof1497959847760.jpg]

The first is clearly slow. I know it because I got it. But the second one is much better. In general, those designed for mobile phones are usually fine. Any with ultra or extreme label works great. Look for the XC1 label too.

[Image: bcjl1487736205858.jpg]

I have a Samsumg EVO that also works very well.

[Image: art_sam-flash%20microsd%2064gb%20evop_1.jpg]

(2017-12-04, 05:27 AM)abarrow Wrote: Depending on how much money you want to invest, I recommend just going to a USB SSD drive. I was very impressed at the improvement in performance over even high performance SD cards.

In the Telegram channel that we have fot the Spanish users, I  posted a modified version of OPlotter that was already updated to version 0.16.0beta and also came prepared with the latest version of NOOBS, which allows booting directly from USB.

It boots perfectly from a 16GB USB sandisk, but I've also tried to boot it from a 256GB SSD disk and it doesn't boot. There may be a limit to the amount of data that the system can manage for booting... I don't know.

What is certain is that with a good 16GB or 32GB card the Rpi 3 runs quite well and I don't feel comfortable with the speed problems that the teammate vapochilled comments to have.

(2017-12-04, 06:09 AM)vapochilled Wrote: I have those laying around but don't know how to make it work
Let's try again morrow

No .img files from the latest OPlotter compilations are available. The latest versions use the NOOBS system that allows you to boot an SD just copying the files as usual using a file explorer.

You can download the last version 0.10.0alfa fron here:

https://mega.nz/#!aMgTDZIR!Reotv8jDECzVK...fkZBH0EJys

In the telegram channel you have both versions. The latest compilation of Sailoog 0.10.0alfa in english and the modified unofficial 0.16.0beta in spanish (can change the lang. as usual).

Both are installed in the same way. The downloaded file is decompressed. The files inside the uncompressed folder are copied to a formatted SD and run.

Monos, I owe you a beer
My card was similar to the first one, but had a #1 on it,
I had a sandisk ultra, but that kept giving cluster mismatch errors on boot.
Finally found a 32gig transcend 10x card that has transformed openplotter, wow what a difference .
I just never even thought about the card being the issue this whole time, my apologies to all.
Am a happy boy again, though the boat I went to look at over the weekend turned out to need a little too much TLC, so I'm back to looking for a bigger boat.
(2017-12-04, 10:38 PM)vapochilled Wrote: Monos, I owe you a beer
My card was similar to the first one, but had a #1 on it,
I had a sandisk ultra, but that kept giving cluster mismatch errors on boot.
Finally found a 32gig transcend 10x card that has transformed openplotter, wow what a difference .
I just never even thought about the card being the issue this whole time, my apologies to all.
Am a happy boy again, though the boat I went to look at over the weekend turned out to need a little too much TLC, so I'm back to looking for a bigger boat.

Glad I could help you.

The fact is that 1 is the worst speed a card can have. 4 is even insufficient to be usable. 10 is the minimum to run.

Today, there are very good SD cards at ridiculous prices. I bought an excellent 16 Gb card at a hypermarket here in Spain for only 7 €uros. Sometimes we reuse old SD cards just because we have them handy from previous uses and we don't realize that they are unsuitable for Rpi2 or 3.