This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oeSENC and OpenPlotter update or new release
Hello OPlotterists !
I am almost all set to acquire a pack of oeSENC charts from o-charts.org, with still a reluctance regarding what will happen when upgrading to version 0.17.0, or to version 1.0.0  Shy
Will the pack bought at version 0.16.0 will still be working after the upgrade ?
Here after is a quotation of o-charts.org's Q&A :
"What happens if I update my Operating System ?
You should not have problems with normal security updates, but version upgrades are unpredictable and could make your charts unusable. "

In other words the "fingerprint" file, and consequently the encoding of the charts pack seems linked to both RPi H/W and OS relative data, in that case changing the SD card could mean the loss of the charts packs ! Can anyone in the development team confirm or infirm my fears ? Huh
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

I recently bought the charts pack oesEnc for Spain. I'm happy with them.

On the issue of updates... I don't think a version change of OPlotter will affect them. Actually OPlotter's basic operating system is in fact Raspbian and there is some forum partner who claims to have updated Raspbian completely from jessie to strecht version and has kept the cartography oesEnc running.

However, once, I run the rpi-update command to update the system kernel and my nautical charts oesEnc stopped working. Although the operating system was the same, the OPlotter version and the Rpi version were the same too. I had to retrieve the old kernel to make my purchased cards working again.

So I think the most important thing is not to change the kernel once you have bought the nautical cards oesEnc.
(2017-12-13, 07:03 PM)monos Wrote: I recently bought the charts pack oesEnc for Spain. I'm happy with them.

On the issue of updates... I don't think a version change of OPlotter will affect them. Actually OPlotter's basic operating system is in fact Raspbian and there is some forum partner who claims to have updated Raspbian completely from jessie to strecht version and has kept the cartography oesEnc running.

However, once, I run the rpi-update command to update the system kernel and my nautical charts oesEnc stopped working. Although the operating system was the same, the OPlotter version and the Rpi version were the same too. I had to retrieve the old kernel to make my purchased cards working again.

So I think the most important thing is not to change the kernel once you have bought the nautical cards oesEnc.

Have you spoken to O-charts? They're very helpful and would probably be keen to hear about any glitches.
Quote:Have you spoken to O-charts? They're very helpful and would probably be keen to hear about any glitches.

I didn't really care much for the matter. At least not enough to bother the o-charts team with these trifles.

You see, personally I don't like the way the paid nautical cartography works. The measures against unauthorized use are very annoying to me.

It's not the first time this has happened to me. Some time ago I bought some Navicarte charts from my area of Spain. Naturally, the measures against unauthorized use forced me to swallow with questions like activation keys... exactly as it happens with the O-charts nautical cartography. 

As a computer enthusiast I am constantly testing new hardware and software systems and that forced me to be frequently requesting activations for my Navicarte charts. As they were for the same computer I was entitled to them but finally Navicarte's were wary of my habit of changing the operating system and shut me down.  Huh

As a result, I spent about 100 euros on cartography so that I could not use finally, despite having paid for it and using it on the same single computer.

In this case the story repeats itself, but at least it is not so outrageously expensive and allows two activations per license.

I know that the O-charts team is not the one who has chosen this path but has been forced by abusive requirements of the owners of the cartographic data. So I'll just stick my nose in O-charts if I have to.

In the meantime, I already know that a kernel change will invalidate my purchased nautical cartography even though the operating system is the same and the Rpi too.

Did they really have to go so far to defend the interests of cartographic vendors?

I don't know about that. I'm not the one to judge that matter. The only consolation I have left is that if I have to pay twice for the same product at least they won't get 200 €, just 20 €. Confused
It's not like the sea has such a bad temper.
The real bastard is the wind.
The sea... simply gets carried away.
(2017-12-14, 02:09 PM)monos Wrote:
Quote:Have you spoken to O-charts? They're very helpful and would probably be keen to hear about any glitches.

I didn't really care much for the matter. At least not enough to bother the o-charts team with these trifles.

You see, personally I don't like the way the paid nautical cartography works. The measures against unauthorized use are very annoying to me.

It's not the first time this has happened to me. Some time ago I bought some Navicarte charts from my area of Spain. Naturally, the measures against unauthorized use forced me to swallow with questions like activation keys... exactly as it happens with the O-charts nautical cartography. 

As a computer enthusiast I am constantly testing new hardware and software systems and that forced me to be frequently requesting activations for my Navicarte charts. As they were for the same computer I was entitled to them but finally Navicarte's were wary of my habit of changing the operating system and shut me down.  Huh

As a result, I spent about 100 euros on cartography so that I could not use finally, despite having paid for it and using it on the same single computer.

In this case the story repeats itself, but at least it is not so outrageously expensive and allows two activations per license.

I know that the O-charts team is not the one who has chosen this path but has been forced by abusive requirements of the owners of the cartographic data. So I'll just stick my nose in O-charts if I have to.

In the meantime, I already know that a kernel change will invalidate my purchased nautical cartography even though the operating system is the same and the Rpi too.

Did they really have to go so far to defend the interests of cartographic vendors?

I don't know about that. I'm not the one to judge that matter. The only consolation I have left is that if I have to pay twice for the same product at least they won't get 200 €, just 20 €. Confused

I had trouble with updating and O charts were very helpful and grateful to have been made aware of the bug, as you say it's not them that impose the restrictions. The user keys were reset so there was no need to buy another license.
If they don't know there's a problem then they can't fix it, might be a good idea at least to let them know what happened.
I do care for system dependability, that is why I contacted o-charts.
I got an immediate and elaborated answer. I partly quote them :

In the case of the RasPi and OpenPlotter making back-ups as described by
OpenPlotter and upgrading step by step will not break the identity of
the system.
A simple "kernel update" will not change the system.
And in this context: Taking into account that SD cards are prone to
break, we really recommend to have a system back-up.
A new image - yes, this is a different system with an almost 100%
probability.

This gives me a green light to go with o-charts !
I will promptly  test the case of the kernel update (after a backup, of course !) and report here Smile
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Quote:A simple "kernel update" will not change the system.

Well, it is remarkable that they told you that because a simple kernel update (rpi-update command) will definitely invalidate my o-charts.

Perhaps I do deserve to comment on my experience with the kernel update to the o-charts team since what they claim has not been fulfilled in my case.
(2017-12-15, 12:06 PM).monos Wrote:
Quote:A simple "kernel update" will not change the system.

Well, it is remarkable that they told you that because a simple kernel update (rpi-update command) will definitely invalidate my o-charts.

Perhaps I do deserve to comment on my experience with the kernel update to the o-charts team since what they claim has not been fulfilled in my case.

So if you dd the image from one sd to another does it break?  Swapping raspberrys?

It sounds like you could upload an image with charts already working, and any number of people could use it without making new license.
Quote:So if you dd the image from one sd to another does it break?  Swapping raspberrys?

It sounds like you could upload an image with charts already working, and any number of people could use it without making new license.

I haven't tried to copy the card with the dd command, simply because I installed OPlotter with the o-charts in a 32 Gb SD and I don't have another one big enough to do the dump.

What I have tried is to use another Rpi and obviously they don't work... as expected.

I'm not complaining about the fact that a kernel update makes the o-chart I've bought useless. I am simply surprised that Didier B has been told that it is not a problem and yet for me it has been.
If changing the raspberry makes a difference, then you can hack the kernel in some way to fool the osenc and make it work on any raspberry (or any other device) and as many devices as you wanted. I don't know what it uses to detect this, maybe the default wifi mac address?

Anyway, I don't really care about this. I use free charts only. It's too bad there are people who withhold critical navigation information on the basis of profit.