This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oeSENC and OpenPlotter update or new release
(2017-12-14, 02:09 PM)monos Wrote:
Quote:Have you spoken to O-charts? They're very helpful and would probably be keen to hear about any glitches.

I didn't really care much for the matter. At least not enough to bother the o-charts team with these trifles.

You see, personally I don't like the way the paid nautical cartography works. The measures against unauthorized use are very annoying to me.

It's not the first time this has happened to me. Some time ago I bought some Navicarte charts from my area of Spain. Naturally, the measures against unauthorized use forced me to swallow with questions like activation keys... exactly as it happens with the O-charts nautical cartography. 

As a computer enthusiast I am constantly testing new hardware and software systems and that forced me to be frequently requesting activations for my Navicarte charts. As they were for the same computer I was entitled to them but finally Navicarte's were wary of my habit of changing the operating system and shut me down.  Huh

As a result, I spent about 100 euros on cartography so that I could not use finally, despite having paid for it and using it on the same single computer.

In this case the story repeats itself, but at least it is not so outrageously expensive and allows two activations per license.

I know that the O-charts team is not the one who has chosen this path but has been forced by abusive requirements of the owners of the cartographic data. So I'll just stick my nose in O-charts if I have to.

In the meantime, I already know that a kernel change will invalidate my purchased nautical cartography even though the operating system is the same and the Rpi too.

Did they really have to go so far to defend the interests of cartographic vendors?

I don't know about that. I'm not the one to judge that matter. The only consolation I have left is that if I have to pay twice for the same product at least they won't get 200 €, just 20 €. Confused

I had trouble with updating and O charts were very helpful and grateful to have been made aware of the bug, as you say it's not them that impose the restrictions. The user keys were reset so there was no need to buy another license.
If they don't know there's a problem then they can't fix it, might be a good idea at least to let them know what happened.

Messages In This Thread
RE: oeSENC and OpenPlotter update or new release - by PaddyB - 2017-12-14, 06:52 PM