This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oeSENC and OpenPlotter update or new release
Quote:Anyway, I don't really care about this. I use free charts only. It's too bad there are people who withhold critical navigation information on the basis of profit.

I absolutely agree with you on the issue of nautical charts.

As a curious detail, I would like to mention that many of the data in our charts still come from the 18th and 19th centuries, especially with respect to soundings. You can access charts and seafarers' books from then and compare them with the current ones.

Of course, today there is a lot of new information but there are areas of the planet where most data still come from those times.

On the other hand, I can understand that the user has to keep part of the cost if there are only paper copies of the charts. These cost money and so does distribution.

But in today's age when distributing data over the Internet has such a low cost, it is more difficult to understand.

To top it off, these Spanish charts are distributed free of charge by the Spanish Ministry of Defence through a website with a visualizer. However, there is no way to save or download the tiles (easily) for use with OCpn. You must have obligatory access to the Internet which makes it unusable in high seas sailing.

At least the o-charts team has made an effort for us and has managed to ensure that reactivating a license is not excessively expensive.

The only bad thing is... what if my license fails and I don't have the means to activate it... for whatever reason, there is no Internet access or electronic payment methods don't work?

I think we will still need the old CM93 charts in case there is some kind of problem with the purchased charts.
It's not like the sea has such a bad temper.
The real bastard is the wind.
The sea... simply gets carried away.
(2017-12-20, 10:46 AM)monos Wrote:
Quote:Anyway, I don't really care about this. I use free charts only. It's too bad there are people who withhold critical navigation information on the basis of profit.

I absolutely agree with you on the issue of nautical charts.

As a curious detail, I would like to mention that many of the data in our charts still come from the 18th and 19th centuries, especially with respect to soundings. You can access charts and seafarers' books from then and compare them with the current ones.

Of course, today there is a lot of new information but there are areas of the planet where most data still come from those times.

On the other hand, I can understand that the user has to keep part of the cost if there are only paper copies of the charts. These cost money and so does distribution.

But in today's age when distributing data over the Internet has such a low cost, it is more difficult to understand.

To top it off, these Spanish charts are distributed free of charge by the Spanish Ministry of Defence through a website with a visualizer. However, there is no way to save or download the tiles (easily) for use with OCpn. You must have obligatory access to the Internet which makes it unusable in high seas sailing.

At least the o-charts team has made an effort for us and has managed to ensure that reactivating a license is not excessively expensive.

The only bad thing is... what if my license fails and I don't have the means to activate it... for whatever reason, there is no Internet access or electronic payment methods don't work?

I think we will still need the old CM93 charts in case there is some kind of problem with the purchased charts.
Reply:

I'am updating all the time. Now OpenPlotter is running on kernel 4.9.76-V7+. Also made the conversion from Jessy to Linux Stretch.

And I always install the with the latest Linux updates.

Never had a problem with the oeSenc charts.

Bram
(2017-12-19, 07:41 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: If changing the raspberry makes a difference, then you can hack the kernel in some way to fool the osenc and make it work on any raspberry (or any other device) and as many devices as you wanted.   I don't know what it uses to detect this, maybe the default wifi mac address?

Anyway, I don't really care about this.  I use free charts only.  It's too bad there are people who withhold critical navigation information on the basis of profit.

Seandepagnier, I fully agree with you, such navigation information should be freely available (to all, and at no expense).
However, e.g. in France, it is not, and the state services in charge (SHOM), though financed by our taxes,
will market (sell) the information and will oblige any distributor to control the diffusion of such (marketed) information.  Dodgy

This being said, the distributors will be obliged to implement stupid and dangerous restrictions mechanisms (DRM) adding more risks
to a risky way of life : the navigation...

What I can't understand is why, in this case O-charts doesn't limit these mechanisms to the strict H/W ((serial & ...) Huh

Connecting this DRM mechanism with a software OS version or revision makes it look like a kind of 'programmed obsolescence'
to oblige you to pay again for what you have already paid : the right to use the set of charts (even without any significant upgrade of this set of charts) !
In this case the mislead customer would then be forced into a kind of hidden subscription ? Angry
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2018-01-13, 02:09 PM)Didier B Wrote:
(2017-12-19, 07:41 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: If changing the raspberry makes a difference, then you can hack the kernel in some way to fool the osenc and make it work on any raspberry (or any other device) and as many devices as you wanted.   I don't know what it uses to detect this, maybe the default wifi mac address?

Anyway, I don't really care about this.  I use free charts only.  It's too bad there are people who withhold critical navigation information on the basis of profit.

Seandepagnier, I fully agree with you, such navigation information should be freely available (to all, and at no expense).
However, e.g. in France, it is not, and the state services in charge (SHOM), though financed by our taxes,
will market (sell) the information and will oblige any distributor to control the diffusion of such (marketed) information.  Dodgy

This being said, the distributors will be obliged to implement stupid and dangerous restrictions mechanisms (DRM) adding more risks
to a risky way of life : the navigation...

What I can't understand is why, in this case O-charts doesn't limit these mechanisms to the strict H/W ((serial & ...) Huh

Connecting this DRM mechanism with a software OS version or revision makes it look like a kind of 'programmed obsolescence'
to oblige you to pay again for what you have already paid : the right to use the set of charts (even without any significant upgrade of this set of charts) !
In this case the mislead customer would then be forced into a kind of hidden subscription ? Angry

The hydrografic surveys and the producing of the charts are paid by the governments and the costs are transferred to the taxpayers. But most of the taxpayers don't use marine charts.

Therefore it is reasonable that the users of the marine charts pay a small amount for this service.

You see the same with car navigation systems. You have to pay for the use of the road maps.

The Inland ENC's of the main rivers in Europe are however free available.